Sick Adopted Ladies

arielleshea25

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Hi everyone! I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a simple fix that I haven't found. We adopted three Rhode Island Reds from a very cramped and stressed situation. They now free-range and are relatively happy, but one of them lays very wrinkled, wonky looking eggs that can have extremely thin and brittle shells. This is just the latest one...
and most of the yolks are not strong and just separate when cracked open. I found that it could be a respiratory issue? Could it be another issue or a combination of a few? What antibiotics are would you suggest and where could I find them? They all came here with pretty wet/matted butts as well but it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. We have added electrolytes to their water and used VetRX but it's too soon to see improvement and I have a feeling it's going to take medication. Thank you all in advance for the advice. We just want them to be happy and healthy.

I believe what you have in your hand is a soft shelled egg. Your hen needs calcium. I give mine a small bowl of crushed oyster shell that I bought from the feed store. They will eat it as their body needs it. You can also use crushed egg shells.

If you feel it could be respiratory, are they breathing hard, wheezing, sneezing? Is there drainage from nose or eyes?

I think it could just be a transition period. New food, new place. You said their vents are now clearing up. Probably was what they were eating....or not eating. I bet they are much happier now.
Congrats on your new chickens! Glad they are in good hands now. Feel free to ask any questions
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
We've had them now for over two months an they have oyster shell. How long should a transition period last? The picture that I posted was just the latest egg, which was a very mild case.
This is what they usually look like. It seems to be only one girl and her wrinkled egg always has watery whites and a runny yolk.
None of them are showing any symptoms, but from my research a wrinkled egg is usually a sign of Infectious Bronchitis, but it's been happening since we've had them and usually IB kills within a few days apparently?

Back
Top Bottom