sick again.... is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trishlace, Nov 4, 2011.

1. trishlace

trishlace Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Mount Gilead, Ohio
    I have recently treated my flock for a respitory infection of some sort with tylan injectable. A few of my chickens have returning symptoms, sneezing and wheezing. Is it normal to have a relapse so soon? I have read that with most respitory infections they can remain carriers, but does that mean that i will have to treat them on a regular basis with tylan?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Possibly the respiratory disease has built resistance to the tylan. If it's a virus which is always a good possibility, antibiotics wont treat it.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Carrier does mean that they can have periodic relapses, but if it was a virus in the first place, antibiotics will do nothing for it, just as in humans. That is why hardcore breeders just don't even think of treating respiratory illness at all; they just cull any symptomatic bird immediately.

4. trishlace

trishlace Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Mount Gilead, Ohio
    They all got better while using the tylan and some of them were pretty bad. We even thought that we had licked the illness for a while until a few started to sneeze again and wheeze a little but not as bad as before. Could it be that I didn't use the tylan for long enough(5 days) or should I start the duramyacin in the water again and see if that will help?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Tylan's effectiveness occurs during the recommended 3-5 day dosing period, dosing greater than 5 days wouldnt make any difference. Tylan is more potent than duramycin. Additionally, sick birds wont drink treated water, even if they do drink some, you dont know if they drank enough to be effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by