Sick all but 3 weeks.... tired of this. Will it REALLY get better?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    after this first year in school?

It wasnt like I kept the kid in a bubble for the love of all that is holy and unholy. We went to play group. I ran a daycare from my home! We have been exposed to colds etc. But since Sept 3, the start of her first year in public school. She has been "healthy" exactly 3 weeks!

I keep being told "After this year it wont happen like this anymore"
    and "The first year is always the worst"

She eats healthy ie fruits, veggies, dairy, some meat(chicken) Drinks water, milk and low sugar fruit juices. Isnt overweight or under weight. No health problems. Well the one scare with her heart. A very minimal murmur. But now, because of a nasty round with at least two different colds/viruses, has a substantial hearing loss in her right ear.

Another kid in her class keeps missing school because her asthma has been "worse than ever" according to her mom.
    We keep the girls home as much as we can. But nothing is helping.
    Then the principle sent home a letter last week telling parents again. "Send em in no matter what!" and if the kids are out too often that the "courts will become involved" All I want is my kid to not be hacking so bad that she throws up. I call the doctor to be told "Nothing we can do. Everyone is sick" And I get that.. but jeezus.

I am already seriously contemplating taking her out of the public school system for other reasons.

**They are combining the 5th through 8 grade schools. After they JUST released a report from a survey of those students saying that 5 out of 8(Or some other awful number) of those students claimed they had been "forced to have sex" Yeah. Thats RAPE!! in middle school kids. One of the schools has a cop on duty all the time. And they are cutting the police force. If I can do it when the time comes I am going to see if she can attend school in one of the surrounding towns If not I am pulling her and home schooling**

But I cant do this sick all the time thing into first grade. I just cant.
    I am sick, my dh is sick. We are then bringing it to work and getting our co workers sick.
    She already has hearing loss because of this. She had near perfect hearing before!!! She was walking around today telling us that she doesnt feel like herself. She's 6.
    I was never that sick this often when I was her age. She is outside just as much as I was when I was her age and just as active.
    She has had her vaccinations(not going to debate that )

But I am seriously concerned about this.

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    WOW!! I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all that. I hope that she feels better soon and that everything works out for you also. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That sucks.

Hope you all get better soon. A bug has been going around thi area pretty bad too.

I went to public school and before kindergarden, just hung out at home in the dirt. Might just be a bad year for viruses. If the humidity is higher the viruses could be sticking around on door knobs longer, while if the humidity is lower they could be more easily infiltrating mucosal membranes. I'd like to blame it on the weather this year.

4. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    When my now 9th grader started school as a kinder, we went through the same thing. Both he and his younger sister were sick from August through May that year. Ear infections, strep, you name it. Got to the point were we just rented a room at the doc's by the month! (okay, not really, but it seemed like it.)

At one point my girl had the walking pneumonia virus in her ear.

It does get better. The exposure you gave her prior to starting school helped ward off some of the cruddies, but at school, it's a whole new crop of cruds.

I feel for you!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Geez your kids sound like me. I have been sick for three weeks, horrid cough, 2 rounds of anitbiotics and I am still gaggin with a sore throat. YIKES!

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Is it possible there is mold in her classroom anywhere?

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Thats what I was wondering turney. Maybe something is in her school and making all the kids sick.

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I think I'd want to know more about the air quality etc. in the school as well. My son is in public school for the first time also. He spent three years in a small private Montessori school before this. He hasn't missed a day yet this year. So I'm not sure I believe in the "they're going to be sick a lot their first year" theory myself. It stinks you can't get any answers or help from the school or doctors. I'd be talking to the other parents to see what their experiences have been this year. Good luck!

9. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Just a reference: I had the same problem as a kid. I got everything at the time. I also had a lot of tonsil infections. Kept clearing my throat to the point that I was put at the front of the bus and the school asked that I be taken to Dr. Never really changed until we switched toothpaste; I only use Aim jel now or else. I am also allergic to soy products; this is harder to eliminate from your diet without making it from scratch. Soy with me produces many symptoms as other inflictions: congestion, stomach ache, fluid in lungs, clouded head, heartburn, diahrea, sticky eyes, body aches come as it is eliminated from diet. I hope that you are just having a bad run of the flu.

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Could you take her to another doctor for a second opinion? There really are so many possibilities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by