Sick all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Geese' started by wendigo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. wendigo

wendigo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    One of my geese is sick and I don't think she will survive untill tomorrow. She's 8 months old. Yesterday she was energic, she was splashing in the pool, running around and acting normal. This morning, she was standing in the middle of the garden with her tail down. I went to her and she put her head on my leg. I took her inside the cook and placed her on straw. She dropped like a bag of potatoes. One thing I noticed is her heart beating where the crop is, right at the base of the neck. It feels like the heart is right under the skin. Now she's staying with her eyes closed. She can't drink because she seems dizzy and can't lift her head.

Is there anything I can do? I don't think she even has 12 hours left.

*Also something I forgot, she only poops water.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you need to get some antibiotic into her fast. Is she all fluffed out, trying to keep warm? Or maybe she ate something bad for her? (watery poop) I doubt she´s egg-bound, I imagine it´s not the season where you are? Do you have Apple Cider vinegar at home there? You put put just a very little in water, even with some sugar, and get her to drink it to keep her going liquid-wise, until she responds to any possible antibiotic. Got a vet near you?

3. wendigo

May 8, 2013
    She's not fluffed out and doesn't seem to be cold. There's no chance that she has an egg before February. She's staying awake now and looks around but seems sleepy, if I go scratch her head she falls asleep. She got up and had some water a bit earlier. The vet isn't available 2 or 3 days.

The only thing I suspect is that yesterday I was doing some things around the garden and I saw them eating some roots. I don't know if this could be the cause because she wasn't the only one to eat them, but she's the only one sick. I tried to feel the other geese's heart beats around the crop but I can't. As I said , the sick one's heart feels like it's under the skin.

I just noticed there's some discharge from her nose.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sounds like she's got something caught up in her crop. Try massaging it and see if you can break it up. Another alternative might be to do surgery. I know people that have done it on chickens and the birds survived just fine.

5. livininbrazil

Massaging may help...can you feel that there´s a blockage in her gullet? (geese not actually having a crop as such) However, if she has plenty of access to dirt and grit normally, I don´t see why this would be the problem...or maybe she just overdid the dirt and grit yesterday? Surgery...[​IMG] .well, chickens and geese are different, as mentioned above...But keep the fluids up, very important. And try a massage if she has a lump in her gullet there. I hope it´s not this, this would be bad news. What breed is she? Could be that folks who have the same breed may know if there´s an inclination toward certain health problems.....

6. livininbrazil

Forgot to mention, on a positive note, I had a goose who went off her food for a bit, wasn´t interested in anything, just wanted to sleep. But she was feeling cold, I gave her antibiotic, not knowing what the problem couldbe, other than that she had a temperature obviously, and she picked up.. She´s fine now. Hope yours is soon.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Geese do occasionally get what we call "hardware syndrome" from swallowing odd things. If she was really into chewing the roots there could very well be a mass of knots in there. I hope she's ok. [​IMG]

8. wendigo

May 8, 2013
    I tried to feel her crop but didn't find anything that seemed unusual to me. I felt a bone right in the middle going downwards and from pictures I figured it's supposed to be there. She doesn't look really sick, more like exhausted. She didn't eat anything all day.

Surgery is out of the question as I have no experience. If it will become clear that she doesn't recover and there won't be anything to lose I might try it.

9. livininbrazil

I can´t see any point in cutting her open if you can´t even feel anything to cut her open for..Is she able to get to her feet? Interesting you said she seems exhausted....just a thought....do you feed your geese Vit B3, otherwise known as niacin? The lack of it seems to be a regular problem for geese. I learned about it on these forums...it´s found in Brewer´s Yeast. Lack of it makes them very weak. Normally it´s goslings that die because of this problem, but maybe she´s in need......? If you can´t feel any blockage, one thing that works for mine is floating some little bits of lettuce in a bowl of water...something that geese often find hard to resist.

1 person likes this.
  10. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Ok i have had alot of geese with different diseases and some i couldent solve so the vet which my sister cured them in many different reasons ,and yes the answer is she did eat something wrong and that dosent mean she will die within a few hours but it will stay like that for a few days but it dosent mean is going to die ! If she isnt eating or drinking then get a rubber tubbing and chew up food and blow it down the rubber tubbing which should be in her throat as close to the crop as possible and be careful and do the same with water (may sould sick but it helps )
    And yea what breed is it?! Coz the swan goose breeds tend to be weaker then the greylag and embden breeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by