Sick Ameraucana chick - 5 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PalmCityChic, Nov 3, 2013.

1. PalmCityChic

PalmCityChic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    Wood Palace, Palm City
    My 5 week old Ameraucana, Lucy, began moving around less than the other chicks, I first noticed her standing still when all the other chicks fled with the dog ran near the pen. She stood there with her neck tucked in. She was eating and drinking but her poo is voluminous and yellow.

Her wings began to droop so I took her to a Bird Vet who ran many tests; zchlamydia PCR, Fecal OVa & Parasites, Giardia Elsia Cor and these came back negative. When the Vet did a gram stain/fecal float in her office,she thought she saw: Capillaria, Budding Yeast and coccidia. But all the tests came back negative. The Vet hydrated her and gave her a shot of Ivermectin.

This was last Wednesday at the vet. I have her in an incubator with a light on a heating pad. She is eating pretty well (still - that was never an issue) she especially likes: Yogurt, squash and mellon.

She has Baytril 3.23% in her water and I am giving her Panacur suspension daily.

Lucy doesn't seem to be improving. I brought her sister, Ethel, in to visit with her today an Ethel is about twice her size now. Lucy is eating and does walk around in the incubator a little. The air temp is about 84 degrees (plus it's probably warmer given she is sitting on the heating pad.) She can move out of the light and away from the heating pad - but she chooses to sit on the warmth.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I'm not thrilled with the Vet - the bill was $325. and I really don't know any more than I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Elle

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont think I will be of any help to you sorry I remember an americauna chick I had last year it was my first batch of chicks and she had sever cross bill and died... but this one I dont know what might help sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by