Sick Ameraucana Hen. Mucous in mouth. Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WalleyWaller, Nov 14, 2014.

1. WalleyWaller

WalleyWaller Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    I have a 8 Month old Beautiful Ameraucana hen at the point of laying. I saw her in the nesting box this morning and assumed she was trying to lay her first egg. When I got home this afternoon, she was still in the box. I felt for an egg underneath her and realized that she was lethargic. I took her out and she could not stand up, very weak and her eyes are closing. When I try to help her up, she slumps back down. She has Mucous in her mouth. She seemed fine yesterday and the day before she was foraging all over the place and was fine. So, I brought her inside where it is warm and gave her 10 ml of save a chick electrolytes. She reluctantly swallowed it. she may not make it much longer. If anyone has any ideas, I would sure appreciate it. She is my Biggest most beautiful hen. I guess that always the way. At least it has been for me.Here is some pics. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    I got 8ml more on electrolytes in her. She seems a little better but not much. She just pooped. It is green.

[​IMG]

3. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    @casportpony ? Any ideas? Could it be Cocci? I treated them all for 5 days about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Should I give her some Corid? Anyone?

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is abdomen swollen,if yes look up info for peritonitis and ascites. How is crop,full,empty,squishy?

5. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Her Crop feels empty. Not squishy, it just feels small. Abdomen doesn't appear to be swollen.She has pooped two more times. it is dark green with a bit of yellow liquid.

6. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    I am reading about peritonitis and ascites now. Some of the symptoms seem to be relative. Thank you very much!

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Dark green is from not eating and the yellow/green urates could indicate possibly some type of liver issue. She has no swelling of abdomen or around vent area at all? Any breathing issues? Any discoloration of comb?

8. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    The vent nor the abdomen are swollen. She is having some breathing issues. Breathing somewhat fast and short breathes. It does look like some possible yolk around some of the vent feathers. but, it looks the color of cooked yolk.

9. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    She is not eating anything. Should I try to get some more electrolytes in her? I do not have a feeding tube. I have been feeding her the liquid with a syringe put drops on her tongue slowly. she swallows and I help her a bit by gently rubbing downward on her neck.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  10. WalleyWaller

Dec 14, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Her feathers are fluffed but her abdomen isnt swollen. her vent looks normal. her comb appears a little dark but she is a lavender Amaeraucana and it has always been a little dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by