Sick Ameraucana pls help shes my only hen and i love her :(

chickenbuttsowhat

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Danville, Arkansas
i have an Ameraucana hen that i got at the chicken swap a month ago i traded my partridge rock hen for her ever since i got her shes been sick and i been giving her med but just cant seem to shake off the cold today i went to check on her to give her some VetRX and both her eyes r shut and water and i had to pill them open and slimmy water dripped out and she closed them back up and wouldnt open them back up so i hurry and got gallon of water and put some Duramycin -10 Tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder antibiotic for chickens and helped her find and drink the water but im very worried about her is there better med out there that i can get her to help her live cuz i would love to breed her with my Ameraucana rooster

93963_415_0566.jpg
pic of her eyes

I have an EE hen with a similar situation - I took her to the vet (we have a local large animal/farm vet) last year for this and it happened again this year. It's a virus that recurs and in her case, damaged her air sacs so this will be a chronic condition. The duramycin 10 will help with secondary infections but if she has a virus, she just needs to get through it from what I understand. I left my hen at the vet for 3 days and they gave her antibiotics by injection and kept her isolated. She's doing well now though sneezing occasionally. 2 of my other hens are sneezing as well. I've been doing all their water with the antibiotics as recommended by the vet but it sounds like you need to keep their eyes and noses clear, keep the hydrated and calm if possible. That's about all I know so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Terramycin ointment would likely help her eyes.

Good nutrition is very important for her, such as vitamin & mineral supplement, probiotic (like unflavored yogurt), fresh garlic, fresh veggies & fruits, kelp (if you happen to have that), etc.

If a Tetracycline medicine doesn't help her enough, you can also add in using a Macrolide medicine (such as Tylan or Gallimycin) via injection or orally by syringe (You shouldn't mix another medicine in with Duramycin in the drinking water). There is a list of some possible medicines in a chart on my site linked in my sig below.

Apparently, misting with Oxine could possibly also help. There is a thread discussing that at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7225022#p7225022

I
really, really hope your hen will get better
fl.gif

Last edited:
SpeckledHills has it spot on...even the Oxine. It really does help. Mist it on her face, around your coop, you can even flush her eyes. Its an anti -biotic, -viral, -fungal, said to be 200x more effective at killing foreign bodies, like e.Coli, than bleach. Yet it safe to ingest and even breath.

The other thing is that if she is not drinking the antibiotics, you may need to find a capsule or concentrated liquid form and give it to her orally. Otherwise, she may not get enough of it to help. Good luck!

where can i get this oxine? going to have my mother inlaw get some unflavored yogurt so she can atleast eat a lil cuz she hasnt eaten that i seen but 3 times a day i go out there open her eyes for her try to wash what i can out and help her find the medicated water thank u guys so much for the tips on helping her and thanks for ur concern for her
big_smile.png

Saline solution (you can get this for ~$3 at a grocery, or probably even at a dollar store), like you use for contact lenses, it a good thing to use to rinse her eyes comfortably for her. You don't need to buy an eye solution labelled as specifically for animals. Saline works fine & is less expensive.
You can also use a wet paper towel dipped in very warm water to put some water on the surrounding area to help soften and clean up the gunk around her eyes.

The cheapest places I know to get Oxine online are:
$12.95 for a quart +approx $19 shipping from Maryland -- http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=294
$24
.?? for a gallon + $6.99 shipping from Iowa -- http://www.revivalanimal.com/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?itemID=283
$14.75
for a quart + inexpensive shipping (You have to phone them, I think) from Florida -- http://www.thepamperedpulletsfarm.com/OXINE.html
$14.95
for a quart _ $10.99 shipping from Florida -- http://www.sunshinesilkies.com/oxine.htm
All
you should get is just the Oxine itself. Do NOT get citric acid--That is only for disinfecting areas, rather than treating animals.
Shipping is only via ground shipment, so will take a few days. I'd ship from the closest place you can find, or maybe you can find some at a vet clinic, animal health store or feed store locally.

If you want to get Terramycin ointment, you can get it many places online. It's $20 on the website above. It's only $12.49 at http://www.revivalanimal.com/Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Ointment.html but you'd have to pay separate shipping.
I tried Neosporin with my hen that had a goopy eye & it didn't work. Terramycin ointment worked great. Before, when I just used Terramycin in her drinking water, it helped with her breathing congestion but didn't help her eyes.
However, your hen's problem might be different & require a different medicine.
I don't know if you might be able to mix a little Duramycin (if that seems to be helping her sickness in general) in some saline & it might help to dribble some of that in her eyes??? I am not at all sure whether Duramycin powder is safe to put in eyes, though.
idunno.gif

Best wishes!

Last edited:
thanks so much have my husband stop and get some eye droppes to help untill i can get the oxine u guys been so help full dont know what i would do with out ur guys helps god bless u
big_smile.png

well got the yogart for her and made her eat 2 teaspoons of it then mixed it with her chicken feed also washed out her eyes trying to find some oxine but still having her drink the med water hoping it will help just a lil

Back
Top Bottom