Sick Americauna, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yazoobelle, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Yazoobelle

Yazoobelle Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2015
    I have a four-year-old Americana who isn't feeling well. So far this year she is the only one of my girls that hasn't laid an egg which made me think that she was possibly egg bound. I gave her a warm bath and apply Vaseline but still several days later she is still not acting like herself. She is eating and drinking a little but she pretty much just sits in the laundry basket that I have her in and she's been calm enough to let me pet her when that's not something she usually likes. I've tried to put some electrolytes and vitamins in her water and have given her some Greek yogurt for calcium. She is also pooping what looks mostly like grass. Does anyone have any idea of what else this might be or any more tips? I thank you all in advance!

2. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    4 years old ! well she is probably in retirement..lol...we call it henopause around here...sounds like your doing everything right just a age thing and she sounds fine...

1 person likes this.
  3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    henopause.... heehee... I love it!

4. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Have your birds been dewormed recently? If not, that is probably a good idea.
    Have you checked her for external parasites?
    How are her eyes-bright or dull?
    How's her crop? Normal, hard or squishy? Her breath smell funky? (sounds weird, but every day when I'm "tucking in my chickens" I take a good whiff of them to smell for something off).
    Can she walk and if so, she walking normally?
    From what I've read, if she were eggbound she'd be in serious trouble after several days so that seems unlikely. I've not dealt with egg-binding and hope I never have to!

5. Yazoobelle

Yazoobelle Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2015
    I just did three rounds of dewormer around the beginning of the year. I don't see any external parasites in her eyes seem to look normal.I would say her crop is a little deflated, doesn't feel like much in there but then again she hasn't eaten a whole lot for the last several days. Right now her breast smells like old Greek yogurt, Ha! She can walk but typically chooses not to. Only when she is startled does she do anything but sit and when she does walk it slow and or tails is down. I was mainly thinking she might be a brown just because I thought her first egg of the season may have gotten stuck because sometimes there are strange shape. I just don't know what it is… Thanks for your help!

6. sbhkma

What type of dewormer did you use?
    Are her comb and wattles pale, red or purple?
    Is her breathing normal or raspy?

I'd continue with the vitamin in her water to help her along with the electrolytes. I'm assuming she's losing weight due to her not eating. MOST important to make sure she gets fluids.
    You may need to tube her to get fluids into her. There's some wonderful "how to" on here for tubing a chicken. If her breath smells sour she could be suffering from sour crop. Again, lots of info on dealing with this issue, just search "sour crop". I hope she recovers. 4 isn't all that old for most chickens, even if she doesn't ever lay again.

7. Yazoobelle

Yazoobelle Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2015
    I used wazine 17 wormer. Her comb is red a looks good. She seems to breathing fine. Looked like she is panting for a short while but that has stopped... Even if she is done laying, she will still just be my pet chicken. They are like my dogs ;)

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wazine only kills roundworms. There are a LOT of other worms chickens can get that can kill them.

9. sbhkma

I used .5 CC valbazen per bird. Repeat in 10 days. Safe, effective dewormer. Dose individually undiluted. Deworm ALL your birds, not just the sickly one. I hope this is a simple fix for you!

10. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    doesn't sound like a worm problem, if she was gulping or breathing with her mouth open and shaking the head then yes worms are a issue..just sounds like old age to me..
    eating, drinkin and normal poops are all good signs..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by