Sick Americauna: Weak, neck tucked in and feathers fluffed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jobear, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jobear

jobear Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hi-
    I noticed one of our Americaunas laying down in the run today. I picked her up and set her inside the coop...she stood a moment and then laid down again. She is not moving much at all, and has her head kind of sunk in her feathers (her neck is all tucked in) and her feathers are all fluffed. I tried to feel her abdomen for an egg...couldn't really feel anything..just soft belly. She ate a bit at the end of the day, but then laid down again in a corner. I don't see any any other symptoms of anything wrong.
    The other hens are acting fine. Anything I should try? I put a little cider vinegar in the waterer. They are not free range..but we give them lots of food scraps...could it have been something she ate? Her comb looks a little lighter, but she's always had a lighter comb....any ideas? Thanks.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

When was she last wormed......

3. jobear

May 6, 2009
    Minnesota
    We've never done any de-worming or any treatment for anything. We have 17 hens..
    Could that be it?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like worms or a heavy parasite load. I would worm her with liquid Safeguard, 1/2 cc down the throat... Three ccs per gallon water for five days repeat in fourteen. If she has mites etc... You can worm with Ivomectrian for both, instead of the Safeguard.

5. jobear

May 6, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you!..I will try this tomorrow.
    Do they get worms from bad food? dirty coop? anything in particular? I will search past postings for info too.

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    If you check the bottom on my page on the signature line, you will see a link for lots of information about worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by