sick and dying chickens ???

barrnyardmatt

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
sad.png

I just got home from work and went to feed and water my nearly 2 week old chickens.

I feed and water them at least twice daily and feel I've been taking care of them but tonight found one dead and one just laying on it Brest with legs out behind it unable to move. Another 2 or 3 in a similar state and some moving around on their legs but their legs don't seem to be moving properly. Anyone know what is happening to these birds??

They are Cornish X rocks.

I have 50 of them in a 4x8 space right now as chicks.

Please help me to know if there is anything i can do to help them?

I think more information is needed. Are they outside? what are the eating? etc - look at the sticky note at the top of this section and provide the information suggested. This will make it easier for the experts to help you.

thanks here are the answers to the questions:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - cornish x rocks, 2 weeks old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - advanced symptoms, laying on their brest elgs out back almost no body motion. early symptoms, sitting down, not very mobile, when the move it is like they move on their elbows, feet look paralized or with arthritis.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - noticed this just yesterday.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - found 30 birds today with the same symptoms at varing degrees. this is over half the flock. I had 53 birds,
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no other sypmtoms
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - not sure
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - water no supliments - turkey starter
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - none, any in this state i have killed as i didn't want any of them to suffer to death.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - would like to know what it is and help if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - outside in a 4x8 enclosure on the ground. covered the ground with drybed, covered the top to cut the breeses. there is a 3x3 brooder inside of this providing heat.

please help asap.

Thanks
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom