1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick and dying chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikki1496, Mar 3, 2016.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    So i ordered chicks from cackle hatchery and they came in yesterday. All was good no DOA well i got home from school and i had a red shoulder yokohoma chick acting lethargic and not opening his eyes. He passed that night. This morning i found 1 crele oegb dead and one doing the same as the yokohoma. Any idea whats going on? No one else is acting sick. Just the yokohoma and oegb and thosr are the ones i was really wanting. They have electrolyte water (gonna switch for garlic water later when i get home) they are on pineshavings, unmedicated chick starter. Everyone is eating and drinking and the temp was 90 this morning becausr the house got cold but i got it back up. I dont want to lose them all i have 4 oegb left and 3-4 yokohoma

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Stick with electrolytes and vitamins, and dip their beaks into the water as often as you can to get them hydrated. Chicks can suffer from shipping stress (cold, dehydration, rough handling,) and watching for signs and treating them quickly can help. Some of the rarer breeds, in my opinion, since they are from a smaller gene pool, may not be as vigorous as others. Sorry for your loss.

3. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I just hope this stops

4. BantamSlave02

BantamSlave02 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2015
    Northern California
    Hey Nikki, do you have any OEGB left? I might breed my two girls with Huffy, Terri's OEGB roo, if you want some maybe you could have some.

5. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I only have one female and three males so i need females

6. BantamSlave02

Jul 24, 2015
    Northern California
    Oh, are they all crele? I'd love to start an OEGB breeding program w/ u. : )

7. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Yes all crele

8. BantamSlave02

Jul 24, 2015
    Northern California
    @nikki1496 Oh, yay! Hopefully we can breed at fair, maybe figure out an agreement on who gets which, like u get frst batch hens, I get secnd or something.

9. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I won't be at fair.. They wont let me show this year because of my age

10. BantamSlave02

Jul 24, 2015
    Northern California
    Dang, you should still come visit me, I want to see some Yokohama pics! The red shouldered roos are gorgeous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by