"Sick" and Limping Chicken. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eriatarka, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Hatching

Jul 24, 2014
    Hello I have a chicken that seems to have all sorts of problems. She has a hurt leg or foot and is always limping. Because of this the other chickens attack her and run her off. She also looks quite distressed as her wing feathers are thin and she is missing feathers on her head. Her comb has black on it and I dont know if its bugs or from bugs. I dont know her age because I adopted her, she is also eating and drinking fine but she seems to squak a bit and moan lightly. She is also a bit light compared to other girls. I am including pictures to help diagnose. Thank you for all your help in advance. Please feel free to ask any further questions. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shabana

Shabana Songster

Poor little girl.

You need to separate her firstly. This will reduce her stress and enable her to heal.
    She looks like she has scaley leg. These mites cause the scales on the legs to lift and they burrow in. Although her legs don't look too bad they also are found on the comb and wattles and that's what you are seeing.
    Don't try to pick them off.
    Use ivermectin - I use the drops you pop on the back if the neck. You can also suffocate the mites by putting something like Vaseline over the areas.

With regard to her foot I would check the pad underneath and look to make sure she doesn't have bumble foot. You are looking for a dark circle.

The loss of feathers is probably through picking and I would imagine she is being bullied.

Give her some protein like boiled egg to help her replace her feathers.

Hope she's ok. Best wishes x

3. Eriatarka

Eriatarka Hatching

Jul 24, 2014
    thank you very much for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: