Sick and lonely chook

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jerrythebird, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jerrythebird

jerrythebird New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I only have 4 chooks - 2 white and 2 red. # of them are less than a year old. The 4th (red one) could be any age. She stopped laying about 4 months ago, but was just as chirpy and happy as the others. Until about a week ago. She is now always on her own, usually holed up under the house. She comes out for feeding and goes to bed like all of the rest, but she stands around with her feathers puffed up and often just on one leg. When she lays down, she just falls flat on her side and she appears to be dead, with her legs just spread out. The only change I can notice is that her legs have a crusty sort of look on her shins area (it would be OUR shins - don't know what it is for chooks). The scaly stuff has a grey colour. But that's the only change. I worm them regularly. Please help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She may have scaly leg mites if the scales on her legs are raised. Posting a picture may help. I would check her skin at the base of her feathers especially under the vent for mites and lice. Consider worming her with SafeGuard or Panacur. Does she lay down a lot? I would probably look at her poops, check her crop early in the morning to make sure it is empty and not impacted, check her vent, and look for any sign of respiratory symptoms.

3. jerrythebird

jerrythebird New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Thank you for your wonderful advice. I will look at all of those things. And, yes, she does seem to lay down excessively - and flat out.

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Replying to let you know I'm following along!
    Can't wait for an update on your girl!

5. jerrythebird

jerrythebird New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I just checked her and there doesn't appear to be any lice on her. I cleaned out her bum as best I could but there didn't seem to be any impacted poo. What is the "vent"?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her for an impacted crop. The crop is on the upper right side of her chest just below the neck--it should be empty in morning--if not it could be impacted. The vent is her anal opening comes out--also where the eggs come out from the cloaca. Does your chicken lay primarily on it's side or on it's chest? Here is a link about impacted crop and sour crop, two different ailments, along with a diagram of chicken anatomy: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Is laying down a lot on its side or belly a sign of impacted crop?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No, but it could be a symptom of other problems with legs such as mycoplasma synoviae or viral arthritis, or even Mareks disease. Every detail of symptoms helps to describe an particular illness.

9. jerrythebird

jerrythebird New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I bought some general antibiotics for her and she seems to be quite a bit better. I suspect she is fairly old so that may have something to do with it. At least she is no longer laying down. Thanks for all of the help.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad she is doing better. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by