1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick and Out of Time

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueJaye, Sep 7, 2016.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Okay friends, I need your help.

My rooster started losing weight and his comb started flopping over a few weeks ago. He is in with 2 girls, who I were assuming weren't letting him eat. Since then, his girlfriend also got sick, and puffed her feathers up, scrunched her neck, and got very lethargic. He continued to lose weight. No bloody poop, no diarrhea, no visible worms, eyes are clear and no discharge from eyes or nose. I'm stumped.

So I started them both on a high dose of Corid and have been worming with Safeguard.

They are both seeming to have a bit more energy, but are still losing weight. My rooster doesn't have any weight left to lose.

This morning I woke him up and his 3rd eyelids wouldn't open. After he scratched a bit they opened and have stayed open.

He is eating, and I have been giving him scrambled eggs with some suet mixed in.

Any ideas of what this could be? I'm feeling super helpless about this, and worried that they are going to die...

[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your birds are very sick....Without knowing the cause? Medicating might cause more damage...Being they feel yucky already...Water is the best...Feed the regular feed..Keep them warm and in a darker place...
    Check out the Chicken Chick...Awesome info...Factual...

3. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    I would give electros and eggs are good for weak chickens it is high in protein

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What dosage of Corid are you giving?
    Any coughing, sneezing, runny nose/eyes?
    Since you have 2 with similar symptoms, I would be looking at cocci or some type of bacterial infection.
    Can you take a poop sample to your vet to have a fecal float performed, check for cocci, worms and bacteria/fungus.

Make sure the Corid water is the only water they drink for the 5-7day treatment period. After treatment offer poultry vitamins and some probiotics/yogurt.

Also inspect your feed to make sure it has a fresh date, feeds can go rancid - moldy feed can cause symptoms similar.

5. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    I've been using 1-2 drops of undiluted Corid in the mouth 2-3 times a day, which was suggested to me, along with a small squirt in their cup of water.
    No other symptoms other than losing weight.
    I was thinking cocci too, which is why I have them on the Corid, but I've read that I should see an improvement by now (3 days in).

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

7. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Each are less than a pound. They are Seramas.

I will start a new batch of the proper Corid dosage in their water each day, but wouldn't I see some improvement by now? I know they are eating, but seem to still be losing weight.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You should see improvement if it is cocci.
    Can you take one to a vet or atleast have a poop sample tested?

What do you normally feed?
    How old are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by