Sick and sleepy buff Orpington chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shadewolfo10, Jun 8, 2011.

1. shadewolfo10

shadewolfo10 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    So, I noticed yesterday that one of my chicks, the youngest, didn't seem to be feeling very good! She was just sitting around sleeping, and not drinking or eating anything! So I dipped her beak in water, got her to drink some, and also put her by the food and she pecked at it a little. I kept on repeating this through out the day to make sure she didn't get weaker. I guess I made her drink a lot of water because I was petting her chest and noticed her crop seemed full of water, but also felt as if it had some food in it (she ate a little). And when I was catching meal worms for them, my dad noticed her eating on her own, but then just going back to sleep right by the food bowl. So, when I offered her a mealworm, she grabbed it but couldnt figure out how to actually eat it! And just fell asleep after pecking at it a few times. I noticed her pooing yesterday, and it is normal chick poo!
    Today seems a little bit better though, she is eating and drinking on her own but I can't feel anything in her crop (not eating a lot?) and she is moving around a little bit more. But, once again she keeps falling asleep (she will be eating then she will fall asleep right next to the bowl!). Also, she is very hunched up today, her tail is droopy, her shoulders are hunched up, and her body position is more vertical than normal, but still lower to the ground!

I am hesitant to separate her because I don't want her to stress out, and will not cull her unless there is no other option and she can't pull through herself! I really hope she is okay and it's just a little cold! Buffy is my favourite chick, and she is so little and innocent! Any help is must appreciated! I will provide more info/pics if you guys need it! Oh, and she is 4 weeks old!

2. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I would start her on Poly-vi-sol vitamin drops, which are human infant liquid vitamins available at drugstores or Walmart-type stores. Get the version of Poly-vi-sol WITHOUT IRON. Give her one drop per day, for only 4-5 days (or until she seems perkier). Be careful not to force it into her mouth, as you can aspirate her by accidentally putting the drop in to her lungs. Put a bit of the drop on her beak so she will ingest it herself. Without any other symptoms (such as bloody dropping, pasty butt, etc.) I don't know what else to suggest.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    you might try some sugar water for a short burst of energy then try some food mixed with water kinda a mash don't leave it for too long switch out frequently. I have become a firm beleiver in vitiamins & apple cider vinegar in water as well just don't mix it in a metal container,it doesn't react well with metal. Hoping this helps with your chickey. [​IMG]

4. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    Is it okay if the other chicks drink the sugar/ACV water too? I also think she may be cold because she is trying to cuddle with the older chicks! But I don't know why she would be cold because it's 85 outside and it's gonna be around 100 later!

Also, for more info, two days ago I washed all the chicks because of a major lice infestation. I just washed them in warm water with vinegar, sea salt and a squirt of dish soap! I didn't let any get on their heads and I blow dryed them after, and after the bath she seemed fine! Could that be a cause? Thanks so much for the info!

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:tell me more about apple cider vinegar in water... Im thinking that this would be a good idea in the heat of summer just to keep everyone at their best.. ?

)O(
    pink

6. ladyride

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:they can all have the acv & vits won't hurt the vits are water soluble they will excrete what they don't need .The vits would proably only be needed for 3-5 days. I keep acv in my water helps keep down algae growth in waterer. They seek comfort from others as well by cuddling. But this will bump you for someone more experienced about the bathing. I'm limited there other than egg bound & injury have never bathed one.

7. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    Quote:they can all have the acv & vits won't hurt the vits are water soluble they will excrete what they don't need .The vits would proably only be needed for 3-5 days. I keep acv in my water helps keep down algae growth in waterer. They seek comfort from others as well by cuddling. But this will bump you for someone more experienced about the bathing. I'm limited there other than egg bound & injury have never bathed one.

When you say vitamins do you mean the Poly-vi-sol vitamin drops?

8. ladyride

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    yep poly sol vits no iron acv just really works for mine year round haven't had a whole lot of problems since been using it there is a great link on here for it but mine have great feathering nice & shiny . Got a new batch coming next week they will have my tried & true recipe to get started off.

9. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    How much per quart or gal? (ACV) thanks!!!!

10. ladyride

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    1 tablespoon / gallon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by