Sick/Anemic 4 Month Old Chicken

ACabrera

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
Our white barred rock became infested with leg mites. We washed her legs with dawn soapy water and also dusted her, the coop, and run. The mites seem to be gone, but she is not growing. The other hens of the exact same age are more than double her size. Her crest is a pale orange so I think she's probably anemic from the mites. Two days ago she developed problems walking. The joint on one of her legs looks a little swollen and she avoids putting weight on it so she just lays in her box all day. There are no signs of injury at all. She's alert and is eating and drinking well. Is this some new illness or is this related to the anemia? We are feeding her a high protein diet to help build her up and hopefully raise her iron. We feed her dehydrated worms, medicated feed, and black sunflower seeds daily. Is there hope she'll recuperate fully? The other hens in the flock never came down with mites. Are white hens more delicate or susceptible to illness and disease?

Any ideas or suggestions???? I'm a relatively new chicken owner. Is it best to put her down?

Last edited:
Ok...our little barred rock is walking again, a little knock-kneed, but walking. I think she's grown a little too, but still has the pale crest & feet. Her diet consists primarily of egg layer feed, scratch, dehydrated worms, sunflower seeds, flax, and raisins. Occasional treats include, white & brown rice, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and chia seeds mixed with her feed. Any suggestions as to how we can get her to bounce back & flourish?

Turkey and gamebird crumbles have lots of protein, you could try that. Mine love it when I make a mash out of it.

-Kathy

You might also consider de-worming her with Valbazen. Dose is 0.8ml per pound once by mouth and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll try the wormer, Valbazen. Is this an over the counter medication? Can I pick it up at our local feed store? Money is tight for a vet visit.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll try the wormer, Valbazen. Is this an over the counter medication? Can I pick it up at our local feed store? Money is tight for a vet visit.
Some feedstores carry Valbazen , but not many, so people usually buy it online.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07949-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
  • Dose is 0.8ml per 1 pound orally and repeat in 10 days. An average sized Rhode Island Red hen would get 0.5ml.

You could also use Safeguard liquid for goats or paste for horses. Tractor supply has both.
  • Dose is 0.23ml per pound by mouth for *five* consecutive days. An average sized Rhode Island Red hen would get 1.5ml for five days.

-Kathy

Thanks for the links! I'll also try the game bird mash. He are some pics of "Chicken Little". She's a white barred rock and is the exact same age as the barred rock beside her in the pics, but she's half the size and her comb is still a little pale and not as developed.

Back
Top Bottom