Sick approximately 14 days old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleWoo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. LittleWoo

LittleWoo New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Haymarket, VA
    Hi, we have a sick chick. Not sure what's going on. We purchased 25 chicks, 5 of each kind. I found one of the smaller ones - a leghorn, laying on the bottom of the pen. Other chicks were walking all over it. It had poop on it's wings. It was cool when I picked it up but temp in the pen was 85 degrees. She is moving her mouth but not peeping. Her eyes are closed. And she's very weak. Not able to stand on her own. We gave her water via a medicine syringe but not sure what else to do. She seems to be drinking it, lifting her head back and gurgling like when she did it herself. Help! The others seem to be fine. We've only fed them chick starter feed and water. We change the water often.
    .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    I'm guessing if she's not taking in much fluids its best to get an electolite solution to build up her strength water salt sugar( there is a reciepy)
    Can you keep her inside or somewhere warm but seperate from the others?

3. LittleWoo

LittleWoo New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Haymarket, VA
    Will Gatorade work? Or Pedialyte?

4. LittleWoo

LittleWoo New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Haymarket, VA
    Thank you so much for the quick response. We were not quick enough. She passed. I'm so sad.

5. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Really sorry maybe give the others some anyway to be on the safe side
    Wonder if she could of got crushed by the other chicks?

6. elizabethd36

elizabethd36 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Hello LittleWoo!
    I'm sorry for your lost. I experienced something similar to this months ago. However, the chick recovered quickly despite her previous state. I found her lying on the ground in a lifeless state. She even had some blood on her from the other chickens stepping over her. However, I placed her under a heat lamp and within an hour she was a lively as ever! Hopefully your other chicks remain healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by