Sick as a dog from my chickens and turkeys?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crazycomb, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I came down with severe diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting, fever and muscle craps on Tuesday. I have never had diarrhea like this in my life. I thought I had a stomach virus and by Thursday evening I was much better. I woke up this morning with the same thing all over again.

I have two turkey toms that are my pets and live free range on my property so obviously they poop wherever they are standing at the time. One of my boys has had diarrhea in the last few weeks. I found evidence of it in the yard. I also have 18 chickens. Very likely I could have and probably did pick up some of it on my shoes.

My question is could this be salmonella? Has anyone here ever gotten salmonella from their birds?

I am so dehydrated I will probably need to make a trip to the doctor soon it this does not go away. I have never thought about getting sick from my birds but this is not a normal stomach bug.

Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

T

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You could have contracted something. If you've eaten out lately, you have a greater chance of catching something from mishandled food than your birds. Always wash hands with soap and water after handling birds or cleaning coops. Also, a well managed coop that is dry, and well draining yard is less likely to harbor excessive amounts of germs. Cleaning waterers and feeders should be a daily routine. Oxine AH disinfectant is a very effective and safe sanitizer.

A visit to the doctor may be necessary. The worst stomach trouble I ever had was from bad meat in my sandwich from a deli. I've never been sick as a result of my poultry for over 30 years.

1 person likes this.
  3. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    Thank you Micheal for the response. I hate to think that I got this from my birds. I have become lax with handling them though. This has been a wake up call for me. Hopefully this will pass soon [​IMG]

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Yikes! Agree with Michael that it's more than likely something you ate. My brother ended up spending 2 days in the hospital due to a hot dog that he purchased at one of those gas station/deli spots. He was a really sick guy and he put off going to the doctor, which made him even sicker. Probably not a bad idea to visit a doctor so that you can get this "nipped in the bud".

I am a bit of a fanatic about washing my hands every time I've been to the coop, even if I didn't touch an egg or the birds. Not a bad idea "just in case".

Hope you feel better soon!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

6. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    Thanks guys. I am feeling a little bit better that my sickness may not have come from my birds. Going back to bed now! Thanks again for the input.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X3

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    ×4

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by