sick australorp chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vwoods, Apr 25, 2008.

1. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    First posting ever. I got 10 australorp chicks 1 week ago. Lost one 2 days later who failed to thrive. Now have one who is acting strange. Symptoms are: occassional panting, holding wings lower than usual. Doesn't seem to be as filled out as the other chicks. Also skin appears redder than the others, easier to see skin under fuzz. Eating and drinking the same as the other chicks. Temp 90 degrees under heat lamp, on pine shavings. Any ideas?

2. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    Do they have room to get away from the lamp if they get hot?

3. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Absolutely. They move away at their leisure. I also have a themometer inside the brooder to monitor the temp. All the other chicks seem very healthy, vigorous.

4. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have one Aus that has the same symptoms without the panting though. She's barely growing compared to the rest. I'll keep my eyes on this thread to see if they come up with anything. The thread I started is chick isn't growing. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what everyone comes up with. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The panting and flushed skin sounds like she is over heated...but if she can get away from lamp, I am not sure.

Are the other chicks bullying her and keeping her away from them?

I will watch this too and see if one of the old hands knows something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by