Sick babies?

mleerey

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Lots of questions!

I am so glad I found this website!

This year my husband and I updated our coop, got new chickens (our dogs broke into last year's coop [very sad day]) and this year we got two turkeys as well. We have been having terrible luck with keeping the babies healthy and alive. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We currently have three baby chickens (we are unsure of the breeds), 2 baby turkeys, 1 white silky bantam chick, and 3 adolescent golden sex linked chickens. We had one of the babies (not sure of the breed) die suddenly last week. She was laying in the run and so we brought her inside, put her in a box with water food and a heat lamp. She ate like crazy and drank a bunch of water. She wouldn't stand up and when she would lay there she would fall onto her side. By 8 o'clock that night she had died. We weren't sure what happened.

Today we noticed two of our other baby chicks are acting lethargic. The adolescent chickens are often pushy with food so we thought they may not be getting enough. So we let them hang out in the run by themselves with food so they got a chance to eat. They seem to be pretty thin but they didn't really eat that much when they were out there. So we now have them in a box in the house with food, water and a heat lamp. We checked for mites and one of them had two that we could find but the other one didn't have any. One of them often has one of her eyes closed (even when she is walking around)--Any suggestions or comments would be super helpful!

Also, my white silky bantam (Ludo <-- her name, she is my baby!!) has a bunch of mites. I recently bought some spray from the feed bin and have been using that according to the directions on the bottle, but she continues to have an infestation!! We have diatomaceous earth in her box and in the chicken run. She is so little I worry about the different things we can use on her to get rid of the mites but keep her safe. She also acts really funny, I have never seen any of our other chickens do things that she does. She will often shake her head then act like she is really really dizzy and it looks like her eyes go kinda googly (sorry can't explain it very well)-- Any suggestions????

Their run is all sand and we added the diatomaceous earth to some of the corners of the run too! I haven't heard of the apple cider vinegar. I will try that tonight! Thank you for your reply!

The website was super helpful!!! I knew about the DE but I didn't know about the other things. I will start this right away! Thanks so much! I feel much better now and hope this will make my babies feel better!

Back
Top Bottom