1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick babies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeviS, Aug 7, 2013.

1. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    I have a group of chicks, about 2 months old that just won't get un sick. I believe they had coccidiosis, so I gave them corid for a week while giving them yogurt. Now I haven't seen bloody feces so I think we got over that. Now ever since then, after already losing around 4 chicks, I lose one a week almost. They stop growing it seems, just stay in poofy balls and look pale. I've tried giving them vitamins, yogurt, fresh bedding almost daily, nothing seems to be working.
    In his group I have buff orpingtons, light Sussex, and two black copper Marians. The light Sussex seem to have gotten somewhat better, same with the marans, the Sussex still fluff up and stay hunched up sometimes.
    My question is, other than what's wrong with them, is should I take the risk and move the birds that seem to be better out of there and put them with my older flock that is currently non sick? I know it seems obvious not to, but I have some older hens that jump in with the babies already and nothing seems to have spread from them going in and out. Any advice or what to do will be great, I'm going to be going in vacation for a week and its to the point where I just don't even want to go, just leaving my babies like this and for the babysitter to inherit these problems for a whole week.

2. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Any help or suggestions?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Put them on sulfamethoxine (also know as DI-MOX, Albon, or Sulfamed-G)1/2 ounce to 1 gallon of water. It is a sulfa drug that also treats cocci and some resistant kinds. The other alternative would be to re-treat with Corid if you can't locate this drug. Make sure your Corid dosage is 1 teaspoonful powder or 2 tsp liquid to 1 gallon water--this concentration is for maximum potency.

1 person likes this.
  4. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'll check at the store tomorrow if they have some, it's extremely frustrating how hard it is to find any stores where I live that have or know what I'm looking for. I put them back on the corid, and decided to just keep the babies that don't appear to be sick where they are and the really sick ones in their own pen. After sitting with my older girls, it seems they may be getting there too now. Look a little pale and just seem alike something's different, just can't tell what yet. I looked at poop and noticed most of them hold its shap, put there are a couple where it's a splat, so I may end up treating them here with corks too ( I haven't yet, but I also havrpent lost any of them either) This whole situation is so depressing and frustrating. I come home excited to see my ladies and babies, and I have sad little puffballs and hens that just aren't quite acting normal.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people say that getting them outside to range with fresh air and clean grass will help them get better faster. Also they do need to drink the Corid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by