Sick baby barred rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickmiemie, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Chickmiemie

Chickmiemie New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    I just received 2 baby chicks (3 hours ago)from my non-english speaking neighbor and one is deteriorating very quickly. I've but them in a large aquarium with shredded paper and a space heater near by. I am guessing they are about 2 weeks old. 2 weeks ago my grandson and I found two Barred Rock chickens in our my yard. As it got close to dark we scooted them onto the screen porch until we could locate the owner. Two days later our neighbor came looking for them. He told my grandson (7) that when he had chicks he would give him one. This morning he showed up with two chicks in a bucket and a box with food and water. I am delighted to have them. One is very peppy but the other started out quieter and not moving around much and in the last few hours has become very lethargic she seemed to start having trouble standing and now can't stand at all her peeps are quiet and her breathing seems rapid. She did drink from drops on my finger and pooped in my hand. I haven't had chickens or anything similar in my life since I was little and am trying to give myself a crash course in their care. Please tell me what I can do for the little one, I love her already.

Poor thing passed a few minutes ago. Will the one left behind be lonely? Can we raise it alone or should I try to get another?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry.
    Yes, it really does need company. It is often suggested that you get at least three, so if one dies the other still has company.
    Good luck.

3. Chicken Chaperone

Chicken Chaperone Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. I'm so sorry your first post had to be a sad one!
    You will find tons of information and great people ready to help here
    for everything and every topic you can imagine as regards chicken keeping.
    Good luck with the other baby and keep us posted on how things go. [​IMG]

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    I suggest another one, and i am so sorry [​IMG]

and [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

5. Chickmiemie

Chickmiemie New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    Thank you for your help we are off to get a couple more chick along with some better supplies.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by