Sick baby buff 1 week old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sally585, Mar 14, 2017.

1. sally585

sally585 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Pace, Florida
    Hey there everyone! I'm brand spanking new to all things chickens. I've done all the research on choosing breeds and making sure I had everything I needed before getting started. We got 6 chicks last Thursday from a local feed store. 2 RHR, 2 barred rock, and 2 Buffy's they were all doing amazing. Eating and scratching loving life. I checked them this morning before heading to work and they were all great! I get home this afternoon and while changing their feed and water one wasn't acting right. She's very lethargic. I separated her, gave her some sugar water, she didn't have pasty butt, but it was white and wet poo so I cleanse that off and put her on a heating pad. She's not clicking when breathing, she won't drink unless I put her beak in the water. She just wants to sleep. Any advice? Or should I just prepare myself? The other 5 are still pecking away at anything and everything.

2. sally585

Mar 14, 2017
    Pace, Florida
    Also, they are eating chick starter grower that is 18% medicated.

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  4. sally585

Mar 14, 2017
    Pace, Florida
    I'm still learning how to use this site. Tractor supply is closed, along with everything else in this sleepy town (except Walmart). I leave my house at 530 to get to work, so I'll have to swing by tomorrow.

5. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    is it possible to build see thru "wall" in the original brooder...to keep the ill one close to her siblings?

Like with a piece of screened wire?

You mentioned she didn't have a pasty butt but it was was wet with poo...
    to me that is a pasty butt.

how is the temp in the brooder....is it warm enough but not TOO hot?

6. sally585

Mar 14, 2017
    Pace, Florida
    On something I read it said to separate her completely in case it's contagious. It's not too hot and not too cold. The light is on one end of the brooder so they can go to the other side and cool off if they want. The reds are a week older. It did get cold last night, but they are in the garage so it's not too bad.

7. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    the garage!?!?! [​IMG]

I am JUST JOKING!

I think it is important to separate them if you know if is something contagious but with them being so young...how would you know?

Are they "trampling" her?
    If so that would be another reason to separate...

There really is no way of knowing for sure what is wrong....
    Just try to make sure she drinks until you are able to get the vitamins..

Hold a spoon up to her beak with water in it as often as you can

8. sally585

Mar 14, 2017
    Pace, Florida
    Yes they are. She doesn't move to get out of their way. I am already preparing myself for her to not make it through the night. I'll have to get another one before my kids come home tomorrow [​IMG]

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    You could look at it in a different way..
    A valuable learning "lesson" about life and death?

I hope she does pull through..it always sucks to lose one.

[​IMG]

10. sally585

Mar 14, 2017
    Pace, Florida
    She's started to "throw up" a mucous like clear liquid. Kinda like clear snot. She sounds like she's struggling to breathe. I just put her back in there with the other because I don't trust the heating pad to keep her warm enough. We will see in the morning, but my hopes are not high [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by