Sick baby chick: lethargic, wont eat, wont peep, eyes shut. Very worried!

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I have a baby bantam chick, about five days old, that appears quite sick. It was active and seemingly healthy yesterday, but I noticed it sleeping away from the others on the other side of the brooder this morning. After returning from work, it was apparent that something was wrong: the chick appears listless, either can't or wont walk, wont make a peep (which is strange because it is the LOUDEST of the bunch), and doesn't appear interested in food or water. I noticed it attempt to move at one point, but more in a sort of dragging fashion...It also wouldn't open its eyes, not even when I handled it or picked it up.

The brooder is clean and is also the proper temperature. Chicks are on medicated feed. I moved all the chicks to a fresh new brooder anyway and isolated the sick chick to its own container. I was able to give it some vitamin drops, as well as coax it into taking a few drops of water from a Q-tip. I have added Sav-A-Chick to all of the drinking water as well.

I was relieved to see the chick a little more attentive when I checked just now, eyes were opening and it lifted its head up a couple times. I was able to give it just a few nibbles of plain greek yogurt, but it would only take about three tiny servings. Chick still wont move much.

So... any ideas what might be wrong? And is there anything else that I can try? Am I missing any important details?

Breathing seems normal. I don't see any running of the eyes either.

I bought some SULMET awhile back... should I try it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the little baby passed away about fifteen minutes after last checking on it. Droppings were solid...

I am so puzzled, and sad. It was the runt of the bunch, so I spent the most time with it.

I'm REALLY hoping I didn't drown it by forcing it to take too much water towards the end. I gave it about three servings: one of vitamins, one of supplemented water, and a tiny bit of yogurt. Because it passed away so quickly after that, even though when I had last left it it was breathing normally.

I'm keeping a very close watch on the other nine chicks... all seem happy and healthy.

Very sad. =(

Back
Top Bottom