Sick Baby Chick!!! Please help before she dies!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dogs121221, Dec 3, 2016.

1. dogs121221

dogs121221 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    I have a baby chicken that is about a week old, I've had her for about three days. Two days ago she had some poop stuck around her vent, but I didn't think too much of it. The next morning, she was extremely sick. I cleaned her up the best I could, and separated her from the rest of the chicks. She has continued to deteriorate. She is no longer opening her eyes hardly at all, she cannot stand up or even keep her head up, and so she is obviously not eating or drinking. She lays exactly like she is dead, and the only way I can tell if she is or not is she will move her legs a little if I pick her up. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! I've been giving her water every hour with a syringe, but she isn't getting better. What do I do? Should I be worried about the other baby chicks since they were shipped with her? Help me before she dies. She can't hang on much longer!

2. dogs121221

dogs121221 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    11:32. Baby Sword died. Cause still unknown. I'm still worried about the other chicks. Any ideas?

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Sorry it's not under better circumstances and that your baby sword has passed away :hugs
    I'm afraid that first week of life can often be the time when they are most likely to pass away. Was she smaller or weaker than the others when you got her? I'm afraid some chicks hatch not destined to thrive or survive. Do any of your others have poop stuck on them? (Pasty butt)

4. dogs121221

dogs121221 New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    She wasn't smaller until she stopped eating and drinking. One did, but it looks like it's clearing up. Should I isolate that one?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I personally would not isolate it unless the others start pecking at the butt, if you keep it cleaned up regularly though this should not be a problem. Separating chicks on their own can often cause them more distressed. You could put some apple cider vinegar in their water as this can help pasty butt. Do you have them on chick starter crumb?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by