Sick baby chick plus broken leg?

Dollyparthen

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
Hi all!
My hen successfully hatched all 8 eggs we gave her about two weeks ago. After a week I noticed one wasn't doing so well, I'd find him facedown in the grass gasping for air.
Brought him inside and syringe fed for a few days, he perked up and started to eat and drink on his own. He would still gasp a bit but only if he'd drank water so I assumed he struggled to swallow a bit and I've seen people on here say their birds have had something similar and grew out of it.
When I put him back with the flock after four days, he was noticeably smaller than the rest of the babies but he had no problems going back in. I watched him closely, he was eating, drinking, running about with the others.
Then this morning - three days later - I go out to find him face down gasping on the grass barely moving, with one leg stuck out at a really odd angle. When I lifted him up it was all floppy and when I set him down in the sick bay, he couldn't stand up.

I've given him water with a bit of sugar and popped him inside my microfiber dusting glove where he's curled up and gone to sleep with his leg still stuck out behind him. Not really sure what to do from here so any thoughts welcome!!!

Thank you!

Hi all!
My hen successfully hatched all 8 eggs we gave her about two weeks ago. After a week I noticed one wasn't doing so well, I'd find him facedown in the grass gasping for air.
Brought him inside and syringe fed for a few days, he perked up and started to eat and drink on his own. He would still gasp a bit but only if he'd drank water so I assumed he struggled to swallow a bit and I've seen people on here say their birds have had something similar and grew out of it.
When I put him back with the flock after four days, he was noticeably smaller than the rest of the babies but he had no problems going back in. I watched him closely, he was eating, drinking, running about with the others.
Then this morning - three days later - I go out to find him face down gasping on the grass barely moving, with one leg stuck out at a really odd angle. When I lifted him up it was all floppy and when I set him down in the sick bay, he couldn't stand up.

I've given him water with a bit of sugar and popped him inside my microfiber dusting glove where he's curled up and gone to sleep with his leg still stuck out behind him. Not really sure what to do from here so any thoughts welcome!!!

Thank you!

This little one still needs a heat source if he’s weak. Could he be getting bullied off feed?

Some of his symptoms sound neurological, so vitamins might help.

I watched for bullying but didn't see any signs of it. Hes been ok with eating. Its hot here atm around 35c so he seems OK without the additional heat. Great idea re the vitamins thank you i've just bought some so will add to his water. His leg is quite swollen and darker than his other leg. I'm going to try to splint it with tape and see how that goes. I hope he makes it, he's been through such a lot in his short time already!
Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom