sick baby chick :-(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pink lady, Mar 15, 2017.

1. pink lady

pink lady Out Of The Brooder

Hi All,
    i need HELP! i have two baby chicks i have been handrasing since the 25/02/17 so almost 3 weeks old as they where getting bigger i bought a rabbit hutch and turned it in to a brooder with a ceramic 60watt bulb yesterday was hot (im in Australia) so i trued it off. But i turned it back on before i went to bed as it was started to cool down. i checked on them at 7am took the cover off the hutch and put their food down. went back to bed. when i got up at 8;30 they weren't up and I freaked out as their normally walking around at this time. I had put a new bed in and i think that may be they couldn't get out and where over heated. i picked them up and put they by the water and they both drank like crazy one is fine and is running around like normally but the other is not well i googled the hell out of it and have been giving little cricket sugared water and have sitting on my chest all day. her poop was runny and a bit green but is more a brown color now she is walking around a little when i put her back in the hutch but is still not eating and just wants to sleep all the time. I don't want to lose her is there anything else i can do for her? (i've checked for pastty butt and wipe her bottom when she dose poop just in case as its still a little runny)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Sorry to hear of your brooder issue. As long as you have rectified the issue you identified, that's good. If your chicks are indoors, then they may not need any heat at all. I raise my chicks indoors where it probably gets down to 15c on a night time and I remove the heat source when they are 10 days old. Having said that, you will get the best range of advice if you post your question on how to deal with your chick on this link - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Best of luck
    CT

3. pink lady

thank you for the welcome monkey lockout will try and post on the other page [​IMG]

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pink lady [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope the folks on the forum Ken gave you a link to are able to help.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

How is the little one doing??

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope your little chick is improving [​IMG]

7. pink lady

Hi guy
    yes I posted up on the link ken gave me she is doing better but still really weak.[​IMG] my little babies are puffen and cricket [​IMG]and cricket is the one that is sick [​IMG] i have both of them on my laying on my chest as they wont stay on my lap (normal for them) puffen keeps waken up and walking around as she fine so i put her back in the hutch every hour (or when she wakes up) and have been putting cricket back too puffen lets me know when their ready to come back and last hour cricket eat some chick starter (not much at all) but a start. and while in the hutch shes standing but asleep.but is a lot better then this morning when she wasn't moving at all and has got a quite peep peep out of her every now and then. I dont think ill sleep to much to night a just want to keep an eye on them.
    but Thank you for the support its a great help [​IMG]

8. pink lady

[​IMG] cricket and puffen [​IMG][​IMG]

9. pink lady

[​IMG]

Put them back in the hutch for their hourly water and feed (if they want it!) cricket eat some more food very small amount and jump up on their perch but just for a minute she's now laying back on the floor. But hey it's a start and hopefully a good sign [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

You might add some water to their feed. Doesn't have to be fermented, but you might look up fermented feed for details. You may also want to add Electrolytes & Probiotics or apple cider vinegar (1 table spoon per gallon) to their water. If she won't take water on her own, you can drop a couple drops on her beak until she swallow it. But no more than a couple drops ever half hour. You don't want to drown her.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by