Sick baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Theerwinhomestead, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Theerwinhomestead

Theerwinhomestead In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2018
    Hey there, I have a baby chick who is almost a week old. She seems lethargic, her wings are droopy, she has this click when she breaths and I noticed a lump near her right breast.... any help? I’m afraid she is going to die. She just kind of stands and the other ones are running around her, if she gets bumped into she seems like she doesn’t have balance. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    Do you have any pictures? And the lump on her breast is most likely just food in her crop

BarnhartChickens98 and azygous like this.
  3. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    How is her butt? Does she have poop on it? Pasty butt can cause a chick to go downhill very quickly if it can't eliminate.

The click when she breathes sounds like of like aspiration pneumonia, which makes me wonder if one of the other chicks might have shoved her head in the waterer or something and made her inhale water.

What are you watering them out of?

I would get her on some Nutridrench or Rooster Booster, and see if you can't get some antibiotics from the vet (like Clavamox) in case it is pneumonia. If a vet is not an option, you could try to grind up some amoxicillin tablets (the kind they sell at petstores for aquarium use, like this: https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-anti...MItujDsdXk4QIVV4GzCh23_AqHEAQYASABEgKud_D_BwE) and put some in her water. Amoxicillin dose for chickens is 125mg/kg twice a day or 100mg/kg three times a day.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    azygous likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Relax about the lump on the right side of the chick's breast. It's the crop. But feel it. If it's hard like a walnut, it's likely impacted. Giving a half teaspoon of oil is the treatment, along with gentle crop massage.

Have you checked the chick's vent for clogs of poop? If a vent is pasted over, the chick can't poop, and it will get backed up, causing it to appear weak and lethargic.

If all those check out as being normal and functional, the chick could be a FTT, failure-to-thrive. You will need to give it tepid sugar water with Poultry Nutri-drench mixed in for a few daysalong with minced boiled egg or crumbled tofu.

puffypoo and BarnhartChickens98 like this.
  5. Theerwinhomestead

Jun 6, 2018
    So yes! Pasty butt. I cleaned her off just today but I checked them all Saturday and their butts were fine. Is there anything I can do for her now since I’ve cleaned her?

Hmm that’s interesting about the water. Is there anything can do for the pneumonia?

Thanks for the quick reply.

6. dehowery

dehowery Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    alabama
    For the pasty butt use petroleum jelly rubbed on her butt , just a little to keep it lubricated.

7. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Nope, I would just check her butt 2-3 times a day at least until she gets better, it doesn't take long for them to get sick from a bowel impaction due to not being able to poop.

In all likelihood aspiration pneumonia won't resolve itself if that's the problem causing the clicking breathing, it'll require antibiotics. The chick's immune system isn't strong enough to fight off an infection like that alone, and in a young chick it'll bring them down quickly too. I'd get a prescription from a vet if you're not opposed to paying vet bills on a chicken, or otherwise dose her with some pet-store grade amoxicillin. It is difficult to overdose on an antibiotic, so if the measurements aren't completely exact you will probably still be okay.

Offering scrambled eggs might also encourage the chick to eat and give it a little extra strength.

I'd also keep this chick separated from the others, so you can medicate its food and drink separately too.

Theerwinhomestead likes this.
  8. Theerwinhomestead

Jun 6, 2018
    So yes the crop is hard. Any specific kind of oil?

9. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Any kind will do, but to avoid the risk of the chick getting into its already compromised respiratory system, use coconut oil slightly chilled and break off tiny pieces and slip them into its beak.

10. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sometimes a crop problem can cause noisy respiration, so see how the chicks does after you treat it with oil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: