Sick baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisacoulter0223, Jul 17, 2019.

1. lisacoulter0223

lisacoulter0223 Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    I have one baby chick 6 days old that we hatched in an incubator in my laundry room. Then we created a brooder with a plastic bin, light, water and food. She has been doing fine until this morning when she is very lethargic, stumbling, falling, wings spread out as she is lying there. I lowered the light and tested the temperature which is at 94. We have a water bottle that sits on the bottom. She has been pooping a lot and there was some stuck to her this morning which I cleaned off. I am going to get a water bottle to hook to the side so it goes down so she can look up to drink, I really have never seen her drink. I know nothing about chickens and took in some eggs when my friend went out of town. This is the only one that survived and my kids will be devastated if we lose her. Help!

DobieLover likes this.
  2. Quail_Kid

Quail_Kid Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Tending baby chicks isn’t difficult, nor need it be elaborate. As well as chick starter and clean water, they need a draft-free brooder pen with a red brooder lamp on at all times. This keeps the temperature at 92°F at 2 inches above the floor. (It also reduces picking and cannibalism among chicks.) When the chicks have feathered out, reduce the temperature by 5 degrees per week until they are 6 weeks old, then switch their feed from chick starter to grower mash.

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    It sounds like she is too hot. Plastic bins for brooders frequently get too hot.
    Please post a picture of your set up. When you say you lowered the light does that mean you physically lowered it or you actually raised it to lower the temperature?
    You need to hydrate her. Put a drop of water on the tip of her beak so it wicks in. Keep repeating that until she gets some water in her. I would also offer her a few drops of poultry nutri-drench to help perk her up.

4. lisacoulter0223

lisacoulter0223 Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    It sounds like she is too hot. Plastic bins for brooders frequently get too hot.
    Please post a picture of your set up. When you say you lowered the light does that mean you physically lowered it or you actually raised it to lower the temperature?
    You need to hydrate her. Put a drop of water on the tip of her beak so it wicks in. Keep repeating that until she gets some water in her. I would also offer her a few drops of poultry nutri-drench to help perk her up.[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. lisacoulter0223

lisacoulter0223 Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    Can you see it well enough?

DobieLover likes this.
  6. lisacoulter0223

lisacoulter0223 Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    And I physically lowered the light. My daughter gave her some water with an eye dropper. I can get the nutri-drench after work today.

DobieLover likes this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Too hot.
    Lower the temp down to at least 85 and see about getting a bigger container.
    It looks like that heat lamp is heating the whole thing...which it shouldn't be.

Don't force anything into its mouth because one drop down the wrong pipe will kill it.

You can encourage it to drink by holding a spoon of water up to its beak... let it drink on its own.

8. Fivebots

Fivebots Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    It sounds like it’s too hot. Try raising the light. Also try adding some apple cider vinegar to the water.

9. lisacoulter0223

lisacoulter0223 Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    How much apple cider?

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Plain clean water is better.

lisacoulter0223 and DobieLover like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: