sick baby chick

chicken gorl

Hatching
Aug 21, 2019
hello everyone, I'm anca and I have grown up around chickens my whole, we have some chickens and decided to buy three baby silkies as well. all the other ones didn't need a heat lamp because they grew up in the summer heat so we decided to do the same with these. boy what a mistake i decided to give them heated water bottles to snuggle with instead and all seemed to be going fine until our smallest silkie just slept continuously. i knew this was bad so i checked its stomach and found it was empty so we purchased a heat lamp and I've been force-feeding it baby chicken food mixed with yogurt/water as well as dipping her beak into the water. this all happened today and now shes regained some strength she can walk a bit and fights back when i feed her but her progress is slow how can i help her

update: i think it might be coccidiosis shes way smaller then her two sisters even though they are the same age, please help me

Attachments

• IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 6
Welcome To BYC! ALWAYS provide heat for chicks, it is a must. Don't know where you are in this world but i would get her some electrolytes, in the US the brands are sav a chick or nutri drench. I would try to keep the heat around 85 in there. As for coccidosis are you seeing red/bloody poop? If so the treatment is a product called corid (amporillium) that you put in their water.

When a chick is visibly smaller than the others, you might consider you have a failure to thrive chick. These are chicks that have an incomplete set of functioning organs, and they don't seem able to efficiently process calories and nutrients from their food so they fall behind quickly.

You can try warm sugar water and Nutri-drench (if you are in the USA), minced boiled egg and yogurt, and wet chick feed. Tofu finely crumbled is also a nutritious easily digested food.

It's doubtful it's coccidiosis this soon in a chicks life.

When a chick is visibly smaller than the others, you might consider you have a failure to thrive chick. These are chicks that have an incomplete set of functioning organs, and they don't seem able to efficiently process calories and nutrients from their food so they fall behind quickly.

You can try warm sugar water and Nutri-drench (if you are in the USA), minced boiled egg and yogurt, and wet chick feed. Tofu finely crumbled is also a nutritious easily digested food.

It's doubtful it's coccidiosis this soon in a chicks life.
thx for the reply they are about a week old is that to young?

Even though coccidiosis incubation is four to eight days, the chicks would need to be exposed to coccidia in the soil. it's unlikely they would get it in a brooder. But if you see signs of blood in the poop or diarrhea, then by all means start the Corid treatment. You would treat all the chicks, not only the small one.

Back
Top Bottom