Sick baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Krisannjacobs0, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Krisannjacobs0

Krisannjacobs0 Hatching

Oct 21, 2019
    I have a Serama baby chick who is less than 2 weeks old. Yesterday morning it was fine running around under the heat lamp. 30 minutes later it was out of it and laying down with its wings out and when I picked it up it seemed lifeless. It’s eyes were closed and it just didn’t really move. I moved it into a box by its self and monitored it. I thought maybe it was hypothermia but how could that happen in 30 minutes, and it’s inside so it’s not Really cold? I kept it on top of a heater blanket and then moved it into a sunny spot inside. I fed it poultry electrolytes but mostly had to make it drink. Later throughout the day, it seemed to perk up a bit and opened its eyes more frequently. Still couldn’t stand all the way up. It keeps leaning too. Well it lived through the next day but seems like it’s getting better than gets worse and so on. What could this be??? It’s not eating much or drinking much (I am making it drink every so often throughout the day) but it’s poop seems fine when it does poop. Also, it chirps. And it’s doing this new thing where it’s keeping its wings up? I know it’s not hot because it’s not panting and it’s not directly under the heat lamp. I don’t think it’s not cold because the room is about 80-85 degrees and the heat lamp keeps the area it’s in pretty warm still. I am new to chickens so any help is appreciated!!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    ValerieJ and TurtletheCoturnix like this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the chick, her poop and your brooder?
    What do you feed?
    I would suspect she's overheated. The room is 80-85F and how much area is the heat lamp covering?

ValerieJ and doublecrossranch like this.
  3. Krisannjacobs0

Krisannjacobs0 Hatching

Oct 21, 2019
    I use organic chick starter which looks like tiny crumbles I then blended it which turned it mostly powder. The other chicks are fine on it so I don’t think that is a problem but I can’t really say for sure I guess. I don’t have any pictures of her poop but will post some when I see fresh poop that I know is hers/his. The heat lamp isn’t covering the whole area so they are able to get out of it if they are getting hot. I have the room that high because at nights it does drop to the 60s in this particular room. Other chick with it seems very healthy and happy (except without his little friend is why there is a stuffed animal in there with it which it seems to find comfort in) image.jpg

Attached Files:

ValerieJ and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? I would try that. Give her 2-3 drops twice a day to see if that helps.

You are doing what you can to keep her hydrated. Once you get fluids into her, see if she will take a little wet mushy chick started.

She's a cutie pie!

ValerieJ and Tycine1 like this.
  5. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    What type of bulb is in that heat lamp too? Teflon coating is toxic to birds (red bulbs, especially, are prone to being teflon coated unless sold specifically for pets). It sounds like she's heat stressed. Does she have ample space to get out of the warmth? Food and water should be on the cool side of the brooder to discourage "camping" on the groceries and accidentally overheating.
    If she has dirty butt feathers, you may need to gently wash her vent with a warm moist rag. Do not pull dried feces off, instead keep soaking it with the rag until you can get her clean. Has she been introduced to plants, roots, dirt, sand? If so, treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprolium). Has she been eating anything that isn't chick starter or all flock feed? If so, does she have sand or grit to help her digest it?
    I know I've asked a lot of questions and offered suggestions for each... and I don't mean to be overwhelming... but time is always of the essence with a sick chick.
    Unless you are treating her with Corid (amprolium), you may wish to give her a drop or two a day of ChickBooster (TM) or other liquid vitamin (the kind sold in eye-dropper type bottles to direct dose them). Cannot tell you how many birds I've saved with ChickBooster.

Wyorp Rock and ValerieJ like this.
  6. Krisannjacobs0

Krisannjacobs0 Hatching

Oct 21, 2019

this is what I’ve been giving it. I mix it in water. I will look for the nutri drench at the feed store tomorrow :) thank you so much for the suggestion!

Attached Files:

7. Krisannjacobs0

Krisannjacobs0 Hatching

Oct 21, 2019

I’m not sure if it is coated with that chemical or not. I will go to the feed store tomorrow and look for a different one. I would say it has enough space to escape the heat but I will make more room for them just in case! The food and water is out of the heat! It has only been on this food. Never been outside. I have been cleaning their vents off often to avoid pasty butt. It looks like it may not make it through the night but I didn’t think it was going to make it through yesterday with how bad it seemed so I guess we will see! Thank you for your help! I appreciate it so much.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poultry Cell is fine to use! I would give her 2-3 drops of that 2 times a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: