1. chicken lady Heather

chicken lady Heather New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Ok so i had a baby chick hatch the other day and i know there is something terribly wrong with it. It can't raise its head, it can't eat, drink,etc. all it does is lay on its side and kicks it legs. I have been nursing it with electrolytes and vitamins and still no improvment. Is this something that can be fixed or should i cull?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi, and sorry noone has responded to your post, It doesn't sound good for your little chick, sometimes they just don't thrive no matter what we do. and sounds like your doing all you can for it. How many hatched and is it the only one with problems?
    and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. chicken lady Heather

May 19, 2011
    52 hatched ad its the only one with any problems. It was a late bloomer and what happened was it pecked a 1/4 of the way out of its shell and then no progress after that for 27hrs so i helped it out and this is how it is. When i give it fluids its having a hard time swallowing and most of the time it will run out the side of it mouth or come out its nose. I am not sure if it had a seizure or whats going on but it just lays on it right side all the time. i even have to lay it on its other side so it won't get sores or anything. I am not new to hatching and "knock on wood" this is the first time have to deal with this. When i pick up the baby its head just falls straight to it chest. It doesn't move its head at all. I think i am just going to cull. I am not wanting the lil baby to be in pain or suffer. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know how you must feel, but I really don't know what else you can do for the poor little one. Just sounds like it's not going to make it. so sorry [​IMG]
    don't you think sometimes when they have problems getting out of the shell like this one did that maybe it wasn't ment to make it? I know alot do help when the chick can't hatch but I still believe there is a reason why they just don't hatch on their own.

5. chicken lady Heather

May 19, 2011
    yea i do kind of agree but it was a fighter. I just culled it. It lived 3 days before ii decided to do the deed. I was hopeing for the best for it. thanks miss lydia

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry you had to do it, but from all you said sounds like that was the best decision. Now you go and enjoy the other 51. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by