Sick Baby Chick?

shawnglogan

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
I have a 6 week old RI chick. Her butt is very swollen. She eats and drinks, but just lays around. Any ideas? Thanks.

This also happened to my chick, although she was one week old. She would do everything normally except she wouldn't poop and she would sleep alot. I'd use some sort of laxitive (not too strong) as suggested above. My mom placed the chick in water, massaged her swollen/protruding butt, and slightly pushed on her abdomen, and the dam exploded. A lot of poop came out and it just ended up that she was constipated with no ways to get out the poop. A couple hourse after this though she died because she was already a very weak chick, barely a week old, and she fit into the palm of my hand. We also think that she got intoxicated because she couldn't get the poop out of her system. You could try this since your chick is obviously older and stronger but i cannot guaruntee she/he will live. Even if you do not do it the way I did, you have to get the poop out one way or another eventually, or you can try the laxitive and see what happens. I hope this helps, although the desicion is tough. look up similar problems to yours and try their methods if you need want backup info.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom