Sick baby chick... :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlquick30, Mar 7, 2013.

1. jlquick30

jlquick30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    About a week ago, we bought a dozen mottled Javas from TSC. We have them in a brooder in the house, with pine shavings for bedding and a heat lamp at all times. They have fresh water and food at all times - we have them on the DuMor chick starter.

Yesterday, my husband noticed that one had a bit of what seemed to be a cough. "She" was keeping her beak open and had sort of a raspy, wet cough every few minutes. He quarantined her and fed her an electrolyte solution with a dropper. He stayed up all night with her and by this morning, said that her cough sounded a lot better and was happening less often.

We both went to work today and I just got home... she's laying down in her brooder, barely moving. I haven't heard her cough since I've been here (about 30 mins) but she's very lethargic.

What could this be? She has no other symptoms, and all the other birds seem fine. He's supposed to be bringing some meds home from TSC when he gets off in the next hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by