1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilranchette, Sep 16, 2013.

1. lilranchette

lilranchette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    I have a baby chick, about 6 weeks old, who seemed completely healthy. I was gone all day picking up some new goats so didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But tonight when I fed and watered the chickens, this one chick stayed off by herself and when I checked she was laying down on her stomach and head stretched out. I thought she was dead. When I picked her up and tried to set her back down she won't stand.
    She felt like she was shivering so I brought her in the house and put her in a box. She felt like she was shivering. I gave her some sugar water in a syringe, and noticed when she pooped it was kind of greenish and watery and smelled KIND of bad but not rank.
    I have all kinds of goat meds, don't know if I have anything for a chicken!
    What could be wrong with her? I have only had chickens a month and know nothing about sicknesses. I suppose it is a fast steep learning curve like with goats. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not certain that she has coccidiosis, but I would suspect it. If you can get Corid liquid 2tsp per gallon for 5 days. It is located in the cattle med section at the feed store. Some get blood in the poop, and some don't. The quicker she is on it the better. Even if it turns out to be something else, the med won't her her. Treat all the chicks since it is contagious.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you've ever had to treat you goats for coccidiosis, you can probably use that medicine on the chickens.

-Kathy

4. lilranchette

Jun 16, 2013
    I have Corid right now! How much would I give her tonight to get her started? Or should I make a whole batch of it and just syringe some into her. I will treat all the water tomorrow for the other chickens.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have the liquid or the powder?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What breed of chick is she? If you have a scale, let me know how much she weighs.

-Kathy

7. lilranchette

Jun 16, 2013
    She is Old Polish. I don't have a scale that small but from the feel of her she is thin and couldn't weigh more than half a pound. And I have liquid Corid.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try giving her one drop of the Corid and then try to get her to drink the medicated water. Dose for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon or 2.5 ml per quart.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In case you dIdn't know, the Corid dose for poultry is twice what it is for cattle.

-Kathy

10. lilranchette

Jun 16, 2013
    No, I didn't know about the dosage for chickens. Thank you so much. I don't know anything about sicknesses in chickens. I just know with my goats, I've had baby goats born that had a rough delivery and seemed like they would die, but I've saved them with the right meds, getting them warm, etc. I've saved several. I have other people telling me to kill the chick and let it go, [​IMG] that it's not worth worrying over and possibly endangering my whole flock.
    She just lays in the box with her neck stretched out. She is alert when I go to wake her up to check on her but she won't even try to stand. I honestly don't know what I am dealing with or what I am up against. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by