Sick baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reedandjill, Nov 3, 2013.

1. reedandjill

reedandjill New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    We got 3 two week old chicks yesterday morning (on a whim) and one is acting sick. She is sneezing and very sleepy. While the others run and play she just wants to sleep. We tried separating her so the others don't get sick but she screams so much we can't handle it. They are inside to stay warm. We don't know what to do for our sick chick!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She probably has a respiratory disease. I'd purchase some powdered oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.) and begin treating all of your chicks. You can usually find the oxytetracycline at a livestock supply store for a relatively inexpensive price (9-15 dollars). The dosage varies depending on the product; I do know that the tetroxy dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per quart of drinking water given for 7-14 days. Do not give dairy products or probiotics during treatment.

I'd also get some chick vitamins/electrolytes and put them in the chicks' water to boost their strength. Make sure they know how to eat and drink properly; if they don't, encourage them to by feeding scrambled eggs, applesauce, or moistened chick feed. Dip their beaks in the water to show them where it is.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by