1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick baby chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amanda10, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Amanda10

Amanda10 New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Stellenbosch, South Africa
    Hi guys. I'm new to BYC and is from sunny South Africa. I enjoy this site very much. But for now I have problem and hope there's someone out there that can help me. I bought a 150 day old Lohman chicks from my supplier. (Never had any previous problems with their chicks) At 4 weeks old they started getting brownish sores on the beaks, nostrils and around the eyes.It grows bigger and bigger. Some say its fowl pox, but I am in doubt and very worried. Every morning I found 4 to 5 dead. I have tried a few remedies, but nothing seems to help. Please see the pictures.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Amanda10

Amanda10 New Egg

Feb 26, 2017

4. Amanda10

Amanda10 New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    I'm sorry. Will try again.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    No need to apologise! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    the easiest way to get around here is by using the search box above. You can put in "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread Please post in fullest detail, age, symptoms, etc. With the time difference - you may not get replies till later this morning. Also you need to stay "on line," to get replies. If you go off line, there is no way for them to communicate with you.

Does your supplier offer any advice or medication you could try. ? I hope the ER folks will be able to help you.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope you can get the answers and assistance you need from the ER forum...there are a lot of very knowledgeable members there that share their expertise. Best wishes for you and your flock!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Amanda [​IMG] Welcome!

Best wishes to you and your little ones. I do hope the folks on the ER Forum were able to assist.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Amanda10, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Hope all turns out well!

10. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hey! :welcome hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by