Sick baby chicks?

luvchicks

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
My 10 year old daughter had 19 eggs in an incubator and they hatched on Monday with our help. I read that we're not supposed to help them and I tried to explain that to my daughter....she was devastated and very upset. I helped some of them out of their eggs. Three of them made it. Two of the three have yellow looking mustard color poo that just started this afternoon. They've been eating and drinking since Wednesday. The incubator has been 95-100 degrees. This is our first time with chicks and I'm very concerned they may be sick. I had not given them antibiotics in their water to start with, but just added some tonight. Do I need to be concerned or is the mustard yellow runny poo normal?

Thanks.

First time chicken mom.

The poo is normal for new chicks, but you need to get them out of the incubator and put them into a brooder.
The ventilation in an incubator is not designed to be sufficent for chicks that have hatched.

Thanks so much. I put them in a brooder right away last night. I put newspaper on the floor of the box and then filled it with about 1 1/2 inches of wood shavings. on top. I put the heat lamp about 18 inches above the box. I will get a regular chick waterer today. Should I use the antibiotics in the water or not? I haven't done this before and I want to take the best possible care of them I can.

Back
Top Bottom