sick baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slyfishy, Sep 21, 2011.

1. slyfishy

slyfishy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    We bought 3 chicks from a local feed store yesterday. One died overnight, and another is on her way out tonight. I went back today to get a couple more to replace them and they told me the light went out in that particular tub the night before last and they'd found a bunch dead in there in the morning. Can that be why these little ones aren't doing so well now? They are plenty warm in my brooder, but maybe they were shocked? They all seem pretty lethargic, we were able to get the sickest one to drink a throughout the day, though she wouldn't go over there on her own. Now she won't even drink when I dip her beak in. Any thoughts or advice? Can I add something to the water to help them out?

2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Sugar maybe? Electrolytes if you have them. Do you have a dropper you could use to make sure it is getting water. Poor things and poor you for having to deal with this. That feed store sounds pretty lame.

3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Lafeber's critical care nutrition avian. The vet gave me this to syringe feed a 3 week old chick that had stopped eating and drinking. I isolated her from the others and fed her this food for a week and she pulled through brilliantly and is now the top hen in the flock! Only snag is that you have to order it via a vet

4. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    effervescent multi-vitamin.

5. slyfishy

Sep 19, 2011
    What I didn't mention was that we did get 2 more from the same batch to replace the ones that died (I KNOW - my 6 year old insisted we try again and I thought well they'll either die at the store or at our house). Anyhow they were fine until today one started looking bad and now is on her way out. [​IMG] So of 5 chicks total only 2 are left looking ok. I was hopeful that since we made it to day 11 of their little lives that it meant we might be out of the woods. Guess not.
    AND why don't they put the measurement for smaller amounts on the electrolyte powder you add to the water?? Seriously it's rediculous that I need to figure out that math and then double check 10 times so I don't overdose them![​IMG]

6. jetskier506

jetskier506 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Happens a lot with bitties you really do need to monitor the heat and decrease it by five degrees each weak. When they get like that feeding them with a dropper is the best thing. And use Gatorade instead of the mineral mix, its better and already mixed. I give mine what ever is left in my Gatorade bottle everyday.

7. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    death toll is pretty high for the chicks until they are 5 weeks old then they start toughening up. you wont be outta the woods for a while, sorry to tell you. might want to separate your healthy chicks in case it's something contagious or something. also the healthy girls wont be able to stress out or step on the sickies if they're separated. good luck!

8. slyfishy

Sep 19, 2011
    Well the last 2 made it and are out in the coop. I kept them in our garage up until they were 3 months, it's so cold here right now I didn't have the heart to put them out! Now the only problem is they won't go up into the henhouse at night, the rest of my chickens go up (1 barred rock and 3 silkies) but these two (welsummer and light brahma) snuggle up tight in the corner together so every night I go put them up in the coop! Hopefully they catch on to that on their own soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by