1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick baby fawn

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ccbetty6669, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ccbetty6669

ccbetty6669 New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    My husband brought me home four baby ducklings. Two of which are Cayuga's and the other two are baby fawns. We have them in our garage for now, with a heat lamp over them. I have been giving them fresh water three times a day with fresh feed. They have been here for four days and have been doing fine. Growing very fast. This morning we checked on them and one of the fawns is acting very sleeping not wanting to move around or eat very much. The duckling just wants to lay there. Even in the water he is just floating not splashing around like they normally do. I am worried that this one will not make it and I am not sure what to do. I am new at this. We had two Mallard Ducks that we got late from the feed store last year. We lost those two to Owls and Falcons unfortunately. I fell in love with ducks very quickly and I don't want to lose any of them. If any of you have any suggestions, It would be very much appreciated.

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    what is the temp of the brooder?
    how is its poop?

can you get it to a vet?

3. ccbetty6669

ccbetty6669 New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    The temp is ranging between 85 and 90. The poop looks to be the same as the other babies. The only vet that we have is over 100 miles away. The baby wont even get up now he is just laying there. His breathing is very rapid and shallow.

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    it sounds like it may be too late, but how old are they?
    what are you feeding them?
    can you post a picture of their brooder set up?

5. ccbetty6669

ccbetty6669 New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the set up that the gentleman at the feed store told my husband that we could use, and the feed that he said was the best for them. The gentleman told us that they were about 3 weeks old when my husband got them. The duckling died within just a few minutes of my last reply. Do you know if this could be something that will spread to my other ducklings?

6. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Sorry i just seen the duckling died [​IMG] So sorry!
    Are you addin niacin?
    Ducklings need xtra niacin if they are being fed chick starter.
    Niacin can be given in the form of brewers or nutritional yeast. Add 1 tablespoon per cup of feed
    i feed - nutrena all flock and add nutritional yeast.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    If there are no chicken chicks I would not use that feed, try getting an all-flock starter, it has a higher protein count and ducks need the added protein

And as was said they also need added niacin or will develop leg issues,

How often do you change out the bedding, if they are in hay it could be moldy

And at 3 wks old the warmest spot in the brooder should only be about 80*, move the lamp closer to the edge of the pool and make sure the food and water are far away from the lamp

8. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Even in This picture they look like they are trying to get away from the heat, my guess is they are overheating

9. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    At 3 weeks old my duckings didnt like anything over 75 degrees.

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    onc emine had pretty good feathers i shut the light off during the day, and turned it on only at night, but they were still in my house at that point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by