Sick baby rooster

Vlfie

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
My 8 mos old Rooster, both of his legs are becoming stiff. he is still able to flex them , but the normal position is to have them extended. His appetite is very good. His diet is corn, bird seed & left over kitty food as well as the other hens & the Daddy Rooster.

One of my red hens had died about a month ago with the same issue. I really don't want to lose him as I saw him emerge out of his shell.

Reading on this and other threads, could this be Marek's disease?
Thank you

My 8 mos old Rooster, both of his legs are becoming stiff. he is still able to flex them , but the normal position is to have them extended. His appetite is very good. His diet is corn, bird seed & left over kitty food as well as the other hens & the Daddy Rooster.

One of my red hens had died about a month ago with the same issue. I really don't want to lose him as I saw him emerge out of his shell.

Thank you

Sounds like Mareks.The diet that you have does not have enough protein in it.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Thank you
Welcome to BYC

It's possible he could have Marek's.

If his only diet is corn, bird seed and kitty food, then it may be a vitamin/nutritional deficiency. Give your flock a feed formulate for poultry - All Flock/Flock Raiser or Layer feed are all nutritionally balanced. Add some poultry vitamins to their water. Limit the corn, bird seed and kitty food (or eliminate them for the time being) to no more than 5% of their daily intake.

See if that makes any improvements.

Is Mareks disease terminal/deadly to the chicken? Is there a chance that the antiviral from the vet may reverse it? I really don't want to cull him. He's a happy Baby Rooster.
The other chickens don't eat the pellets. So I was at a loss what to do.
Thank you for all your help. :)

Is Mareks disease terminal/deadly to the chicken? Is there a chance that the antiviral from the vet may reverse it? I really don't want to cull him. He's a happy Baby Rooster.
Of course they won't eat their pellets. They are like little kids. They won't eat their dinner if they have the option of dessert instead. While they may enjoy eating the treats more, and you feel like they are getting spoiled, you aren't taking very good care of them by feeding them that stuff.
Healthy birds will not starve themselves. Stop giving them the junk and only offer them a properly balanced feed.

Marek's is usually deadly to a chicken. While sometimes they can recover, there may be long term effects later on day the road. Marek's is contagious and there is no cure. A vet cannot give an antiviral to reverse it.

If your chickens won't eat pellets, then you can try using crumbles or do some reading on feeding fermented feed. I still think you need to evaluate the foods/treats that you are feeding. Nutritional and vitamin deficiencies can sometimes mimic Marek's disease and other illnesses. If he continues to decline after you have fixed his nutritional deficit, then start looking into illnesses.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Thank you. I will basically keep him comfortable. At this point he is starting learn to crow, and his Daddy outside is answering him.

Back
Top Bottom