Sick baby Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ericsgirlie, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    I know they send extras assumming some may die, but he made it here, and we love him. He sleeps alot, At first he would not open his eyes, but I gave him a drink and then he seemed better. Still slugish and sleeps much. I rarely see him eat, but he drinks, but then he threw up on me. When under the light where he puts himself, he will sometimes breath through his mouth. All the other birds seem weel, but he is not thriving. Can you help [​IMG] Hannah just fed him some boiled egg yoke. He also has glassy eyes.

Thanks in advanced,
    Laura

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Please help! I am so scared he will die tonight [​IMG]

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I had a baby like that in my hatch...he needed help hatching. His legs were splayed too...cutest little bugger...
    We tried everything....egg yolks in a syringe, egg whites, water, sugar water, wet chick crumble. He always stayed in the "I'm an egg" position.
    For the most part, anything this little guy ate, he choked back up. I noticed while I was holding him up against my face, close to my ear for warmth, every time he took a breath it made a loud click noise somewhere inside of him. His head was always droopy and if he tried to move, he would wind up on his back...we didn't leave the house for a few days because of that. Someone always had to be home with the baby.
    He passed sadly...despite our best efforts.

I'm not saying it's hopeless! I don't believe anything is hopeless! We should always do our best!
    This was just for comparison...not meant to make anything sad....we should prepare ourselves if at all possible...but we should not give up and we should hope for the very best!
    Don't give up on the little one! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    Best wishes<3

4. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Well, he is not that bad, he walks and drinks on his own, will eat when we feed him by hand.... just very sluggish and sleepy [​IMG] Did you water down the egg yoke for the syringe? He likes the syringe [​IMG]

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Yes we did. We tried it straight and watered down.
    There was a lot wrong with that little one...I think that's why my hen ignored him. She knew best I suppose...
    I'm glad yours is in much better shape than my little fella was!
    That's a great sign, I would say!
    Sorry I can't offer much help. It seems like you are doing your best.
    Keep it up is really all I can say.

6. PoachiesMom

PoachiesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Get some Poly Vi Sol Vitamin drops from your local pharmacy - they are made by Enfamil. Make sure they are WITHOUT IRON. Give a couple of drops straight to the beak each day and mix in water also. We always mix vitamins/electrolytes in our new arrivals water for the first few days and this seems to really make a difference. Good luck!

7. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Oh thank you... will go get some now! Do the vitamins have electrolites? He is still with us. The others seem so big compared to him. They are growing but he is not [​IMG]

8. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    He is doing much better, not sleeping as much and he ate out of the feeder for th first time. He has been a wee bit spoiled so everytime we come to the cage, he runs to come get out [​IMG] It is looking hopeful. At 2 am he was lethargic and would not eat. I prayed ( admitting that I was fearful as well as doubtful) and this morning he has progressively gotten better. [​IMG] Thank you everyone for your help.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. ericsgirlie

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    He took a turn for the worse, He has not been eating well and while the other chicks are growing and active, Little Man has gotten weeker and weeker. He is lethargic now and I am just holding him tim he passes. He is my favorite, so sweet and would run and jump on your hand whenever you opened the cage. It has been a rough week. Last night we found out my husband has Poly Cystic Kidney disease [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by