1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick baby Turkey. Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ally Huddleston, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ally Huddleston

Ally Huddleston New Egg

Jun 2, 2015
    Paris, Tx
    I purchased two turkeys at Atwoods yesterday...they were both fine and very lively. When I went out to the barn this morning to check on everybody the smaller of the two appeared to be really weak...It's now almost dark here and I have to make her get up and walk...when I do make her walk she walks...just very slow and not more than a few steps and than she lays down. She is also having a hard time keeping her eyes open. When I pick her up and hold her close to my chest she lays her head on me and closes her eyes. What could it be? And what can I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you keeping them warm under a brooder lamp? I would get some electrolytes with vitamins, such as SaveAChick and put it in the water. Give her some with a dropper as often as you can today and tomorrow. Sugar water, pedialyte, or Gatorade will do in a pinch. Check the vent opening to make sure that it isn't pasted up with droppings, and keep it cleaned. I hope the chick gets better, but shipping stress sometimes is hard on chicks and poults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by