Sick baby turkey!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kestaa, Jul 26, 2011.

1. kestaa

kestaa New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    I bought a pair of very young turkeys from my local feed store yesterday, and they're living temporarily in a sturdy, large cardboard box with a heat lamp. They've been eating and drinking healthy amounts, but one of them is acting a little weak. Her poo seems very watery and she's been sneezing. One of her eyes was messy and I cleaned it with a mild antiseptic and she held still and almost seemed to enjoy it -- I'm not sure if it was leaking or if she just faceplanted in something. The other baby seems fine. She's been jumping around the box, running in circles, playing, etc. I guess my main question is whether or not this something I should worry about. I've never raised turkeys before and I'd hate to lose one of them. She's so gentle, and impossibly cute. [​IMG]

2. kestaa

kestaa New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    One thing I forgot to mention is that she's breathing faster than the other baby. Almost like panting. And she doesn't like to stand and walk very much.

3. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I'm not sure if this will help, but everytime we get a batch of poults, at least one of them does this and looks like we're going to lose it. Some of the more delicate ones seem to go into like a shock or something from the move. But we start them on Save-a-chick and usually within a day or two they're up and running around. Hope yours makes it.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    respitory issues maybe?
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by