Sick baby Welsummer? Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slagartist, Aug 6, 2013.

1. slagartist

slagartist Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Hi,

So, my mother's on vacation and her chicks arrived about a week early, so I went down to the post office to get them. I got everything they needed -- heat lamp (250w infared), bedding, chick feed, grit, waterer and feeder. The brooder temp is at a steady ~95F and all seemed well -- 5 of the six are running around like little torpedoes!

My concern is for the little Welsummer. She seemed fine at first, but within the first hour I noticed she was laying in the bedding unlike the others when they napped -- almost like she'd flopped belly-first and stayed there. Her breathing also seems a little more laboured than the others. I was told via helpline that I should try feeding her a little sugar water every 15-30min, which I've been doing... she seems to take a gulp or two just fine, but so far no improvement. I also noticed the last time I fed her (~10min ago) that she seemed to cough and/or "hiccup" after taking some of the water. I haven't seen any discharge or sneezing, and she doesn't seem to be pasting up, either.

[​IMG]

Overall she seems very weak. Mostly she just lays there -- when I take her out to feed her sometimes she stands up and chirps a bit, and she must move a little in the brooder because she appears in different spots every time I look, but again she's mostly just laying there and looking in need of something :(

If anyone has any advice on how to help her out, please let me know! I'd hate for my mother to come home to a dead chickie :( I know they don't always do well after transport and the fact is, some babies just die, but if there's anything else I can try I'm willing to give it a shot!

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She does appear to just be weak from the shipping. Giving her sugar water is a good idea, so I'd continue doing that. Is she eating anything? You could try some scrambled eggs, as chicks often like those. Hopefully, she survives, but, unfortunately, not all chicks do.[​IMG]

3. slagartist

Aug 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Scrambled eggs? I assume that's fine even if she's only about 2 days old? And if it might help, it's worth a try! As far as I can see she hasn't eaten anything, but when I was fixing up their brooder they were waiting in a box with the feed and water so she may have eaten before she got relocated. I'll definitely give it a try, thank you!

Another thing I forgot to ask -- at any point should I consider removing her from the others? As I said, my mother's out of town and she's the one with the big house and the set up. I only have one heat lamp, so I wasn't sure if I needed to move her for the safety of the others or if it would be okay to leave her with the rest for now. They don't seem to be picking on her, just ignoring her except to use as a nap partner.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. slagartist

Aug 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Just an update -- she seems to be drinking the sugar water okay, but won't touch the scrambled eggs or anything else, and is still lying down :( Hope the little girl pulls through...

5. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    You can't force her to eat but keep offering her egg yoke mixed with (active culture) buttermilk or yogurt every few hours. I actually feed buttermilk mixed with starter feed to all my baby chicks every 2nd day for the first week as it significantly reduces episodes of pasty butt.

If she stops drinking you will needed use a dropper to get some sugar water into her. Do this every hour until she perks up and drinks on her own.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. slagartist

Aug 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, I will try that. My main concern now is that she's worse -- she wont open her eyes at all and is completely limp. :( Her head is moving convulsively, almost like shes constantly gagging, and I'm worried she might have something stuck in her throat. One thing that's different now, is that she has lots of saliva coming out of her mouth? Any ideas on how I might clear her throat? I don't want to force-feed her any water or food if she has an obstruction. Is there any safe way to open her mouth without damaging her beak?

7. slagartist

Aug 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Update: Little baby didn't make it :(

She got worse, then started convulsing and throwing up a lot of clear, sticky saliva. I heard a few peeps after and hoped she was improving, but eventually quieted down and stopped breathing altogether.

Thank you all for your advice. <3 The rest of them seem to be doing just fine (though the Barred Rock is sleeping a lot, but I assume she's just the lazy of the litter), and will hopefully grow up nice and healthy.

8. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    That's too bad she didnt make it. I know I have found that once they start doing the nodding/bobbing head thing they just don't make it. I've only had it happen with shipped chicks, and it sucks. I've tried sugar water, save a chick, magic chickie slurry with puréed egg, crumbles and save a chick in one and nothing ever works once they start nodding.

9. slagartist

Aug 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I think she just didn't have the energy to hang on. Poor thing.

Still concerned about the Barred Rock, too. I poked her beak in some egg yolk and she slurped it right up, but aside from that she seems permanently asleep :< I'm hoping she's just tired from the journey and will perk up by tomorrow morning. I'm scared to go to sleep! They're so small and I'm worried sick about them now >.<

10. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    Keep with the egg yolk on that barred rock. It may work, sometimes it does at this point. Don't take it too hard if it doesn't though. Seriously shipping is tough on these little guys and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Wherever they came from should replace any that die/or look as though they probably will die in the first 48 hours. It really is a lot nicer when you can hatch em/buy em locally because they just get a better start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by