sick baby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenjacksob, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jenjacksob

jenjacksob Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Columbia, Missouri
    I have a 10 week old speckled sussex that has a very pale comb, does not stand much, runny poo, panting and wings are hanging. The vet has treated her for worms and mites without any signs of getting better. She is eating and drinking like a pig as well. Any thoughts on what could be going on with her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The first thing that comes to mind is coccidiosis at that age, but they usually don't want to eat. Did your vet check for cocci in the droppings as well as worms? I would get Corid from your feed store, and start it right away in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 1/5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. She must take enough of the liquid, and it is safe to treat all birds at once. I was just wondering if she has always been puny, since she may just be a weak chick or failure to thrive. If you don't use the Corid for cocci, then I would definitely put her on chick vitamins in her water, and add some plain yogurt to her food daily, for probiotics. Let us know what happens.

3. jenjacksob

jenjacksob Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Columbia, Missouri
    yes he did check for cocci, she came back clear. He ran a fecal float, did find worms which I had already started treating her before even going to the vet. She has always seemed a little off compared to her sisters. I am currently putting nutri drench in her water and has had a shot of B12. She is due for another shot of B12 on the 10th.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know what type of worms she had, and what medicine was used? Mites are difficult to get rid of, and since their eggs can hatch about every 5-7 days, they all have to be treated at those intervals, and the housing treated as well. Permethrin garden dust or 10% liquid spray is good, and many use Sevin dust, but it can have cancer-causing side effects. Valbazen and fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) are very good to treat worms. I would also be tempted to treat with Corid despite the fecal float, since there is a chronic strain of cocci that can lead to enteritis. It wouldn't harm them to treat, but it costs $23-25.

5. jenjacksob

jenjacksob Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Columbia, Missouri
    she was treated with safeguard for the worms and for mites she was treated with ivermectin

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding?

7. jenjacksob

jenjacksob Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Columbia, Missouri
    grower pellets mixed with mannapro omega egg maker, the vet said the omegas would be good for her. I've been mixing it with yogurt and cayenne.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Egg maker is a layer feed. Layer feed is for adult, actively laying birds only. The high calcium levels can kill young birds. What is the protein content of the grower? Also, chickens can't really digest yogurt, so not the best thing to be giving a sick chick.
    Panting and holding the wings out are indicators of overheating. Watery poo can also be a sign of overheating, since drinking is one way chickens use to cool their body temp.

9. jenjacksob

jenjacksob Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Columbia, Missouri
    16% on the grower. It's definitely not hot in here (she is indoors with no heat lamp) so I am puzzled on the panting. She has been iffy since we got her. When she first started all this we treated her for cocci. That did nothing to change her at all. I've done everything the vet has said to do with no changes what so ever.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicks need at least 18% protein content. And inside a house can be too warm at 10 weeks old. Remember that she's wearing a down coat 24/7 that she can't take off.
    Sounds like you are feeding a meat bird grower feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by