sick baby

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by golfdiva, Sep 11, 2009.

1. golfdiva

golfdiva New Egg

Sep 11, 2009
    I have 8 baby female chicks (from mypetchicken.com). They are about 3.5 weeks old. They all seemed fine and healthy until a few days ago. I noticed one that seemed a little less active and was every so slightly wobbly. Now today she is decidedly less active - mostly just sitting and often tipping over to the left.

I have kept all 8 of them in a pen the basement the whole time, except for a few minutes when I tried to put them in a pen in the yard. They were able to get through the pen, so quickly collected them and put them back in the basement.

I don't see any injury, no discharge, sneezing or wheezing. She is a little wet on the underside and a little bit of poopy butt, but not blocking the vent. I have seen her eat and drink, however her crop feels mostly empty. She is alert.

Is there anything I can do for her?

Thanks!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Anything else? Is she standing in a corner with her feathers kind of fluffed out? Eyes closed?

3. golfdiva

golfdiva New Egg

Sep 11, 2009
    She is often not with the other chicks, but not in a corner. Her eyes look fine yet. She will eat from my hand. She tries to eat at the feeder, but often gets knocked over by the other chicks then gives up. I have not seen any unusual poop.

She sits mostly, and yes her feathers are fluffed up. She will try to get away if I try to catch her, but she is slow. She sits quietly in my hands when I do catch her.

Oh, I should mention I have been keeping chickens for several years. This is the first time I have had a problem with my chicks. I currently have 8 adults free ranging on the property.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Chickens need sunshine just like people to get a proper amount of vitamin D. Vitamin D is for strong bones and coordination. Sounds like rickets to me. A lack of vitamin D. When are you going to house them outside? Being in a basement is not good for their health.

I would give each chick one drop of Poly Vi Sol (without iron) in the morning and again at night and get them outside. Rickets will not only harm their bones and beaks but can cause internal organ damage as well.

5. golfdiva

golfdiva New Egg

Sep 11, 2009
    I usually made a pen out of chicken wire in the basement where I kept the babies after about 2 weeks. Then when they were feathered out and couldn't fit through the grid of the outdoor pen I'd move them outside. I guess this is around 6-8 weeks.

This year, I happened to have a bunch of big card board boxes, so I used them to make the pen. I wonder if this caused a lack of ventilation? Last night I poked holes all around the card board, about baby chicken beak height.

I found some old Sulmet in the cubboard that I put in their water last night.

This morning I went to check on them and she looked much better! It took me a few minutes to figure out which chick was the sick one! I hope this means she is around the corner!

Thanks for the replies! If there are any more insights, please feel free to post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by