Sick Baby?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hottchick, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I have a new chick who seems to be sneezing. When I picked her up a while ago she sounded a little congested. Do chicks get colds? Is this serious? What can I do for her? Help Please!

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    How old is the chick?

It doesnt sound too serious from what you have said. I would try some raw or unfiltered ACV(Apple Cider Vinegar) in hte water. It doesnt take very much. If I remember I only use about a tbls per gallon.

3. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm not 100% sure exactly how old she is. I just got her Wednesday. She's about 2-3 weeks old--she has good feathers coming in on her body but none on her head yet. She is eating and drinking normally, moving fine and doesn't act like she feels bad.

Where does one get raw Apple cider vinegar? Is it the same kind sold in the grocery store? Does it help with congestion?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    If she is feather out everywhere but her head I would say she is between 5 and 6 weeks old. ACV helps boost the immune system. I cant find it at the grocery store here, I have to go to a health food store. It will say raw or unfiltered on the bottle.

5. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    Is there anything at Tractor Supply that might help? I'm really far from any health food stores. I might be able to find one tomorrow but I could get to Tractor Supply today.

6. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I hate to put chicks on antibiotics that young.... Let me think... I will post back in about 5 minutes

7. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    You could try vitamins and see if it helps.... Other than that. try a broad spectrum antibiotic.... Crap, brain is not working today..... It starts with an A.....LOL.... It wont be hard to find at TS, it is in powder form.....

8. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    I've been checking on her incessantly. Lol. I love all of my babies, maybe I'm silly that way. But I think lots of folks here are the same. Anyway, I haven't heard a sneeze or anything since this morning. I'll keep a close check. Maybe it's just something really minor that will resolve in a day or two. If anything gets worse then I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by