Sick Bantam Cochin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rookie08rip, Jan 7, 2013.

1. rookie08rip

rookie08rip New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Gloucester, VA
    Hello group! I need some assistance as I am a newbie to the cicken world. I have a bantam female (approx 7 mos.) that seems sick all of the sudden. The first thing I noticed was that she cant make the foot and half jump to the coop. She comes out just fine but cant jump back up. I picked her up to take a look at her and as i was bent over with her in my arms, a creamy white discharge came out of her mouth. Does anybody have ideas of what I should do? I use Dumor Layer Pellets and change the water in the waterer daily. They are confined to a run. but have access to the coop all day. I close them in the coop in the evening when they all seem to be staying in for the night. Thank you soo much in advance. I look forward to your responses.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Does her breath smell really bad??

3. rookie08rip

rookie08rip New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Gloucester, VA
    Well, I'm not gonna lie...smelling a chickens breath was the furthest thing from my mind. But another thing I forget to add was when I picked her up to put her in the coop she stumbled and fell on her back and couldn't turn over. I had to roll her back over.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Well if her breath smells bad it could be from sour crop.

5. rookie08rip

rookie08rip New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Gloucester, VA
    Would sour croup make her weak? And if it is sour croup how do I remedy that? BTW thank you for your time...

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Put sour crop in the search box. Many threads on sour crop come up . Read all the information. Then treat accordingly. Good luck. Our thoughts are with you and your hen.

7. rookie08rip

rookie08rip New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Gloucester, VA
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by