Sick Bantam Roo - Help Required

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kzims, Dec 6, 2013.

1. kzims

kzims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    My Bantam roo is suffering from cold has a slightly wilted comb from back corner which is turning dark blackish. Its getting breezy and cold at nights here and days are usually warm. I cover their cage at night. He seems to be doing reasonably ok, eating and drinking but i know there is something wrong.
    Please advise.
    Bantam Man

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sounds like he could possibly have frostbite. If it is frostbite it could turn black and fall off. Some folks use vasoline on the combs and wattles to help prevent frostbite you can also try bag balm apply every night before roosting. If the area is already turning blackish there is not much that you can do for that area but watch for infection. It likely will fall off sometimes leaving new skin behind. You can try to make sure he has a draft free area but with adequate ventalation. Try the vasoline or better yet bag balm which can be purchased at tractor supply.apply it every night before roosting and see if it helps prevent farther damage. You can put it on comb wattles and feet. watch the balckened area for signs of infection.i hope this helps and keep us posted on how hes doing. I myself would choose to use the bag balm over vasoline I think its a better product. Best wishes to you!! Hopefully this will prevent further damage.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Make sure that your coop is free of drafts where they hang out during the day or roost at night, but have overhead ventilation even in very cold weather so the humidity, which causes frostbite, can escape. Some people use bales of straw around their coops to block the wind. You can enclose these bales in large garbage bags to preserve them from weather and mold, and they will last all year.

4. kzims

kzims Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks for your replies :).
    However I feel that this is some kind of infection or rather a cold. I can feel he is unable to coo properly as there is some kind of congestion that is causing his voice to break while trying to coo. Good thing is that he is still active and running around here and there. I tried some home remedies on him but did not work for past 3 4 days.
    I keep his cage nice and warm at night and have also started giving him antibiotics (terramycein) from today. I shall continue the course for next 7 to 8 days and hopefully he can recover.

More responses are awaited...

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You hadn't described any respiratory issues earlier. Terramycin (erythromycin) is good for many infections. Some of the respiratory infections are viruses which don't respond to antibiotics, while some are bacterial as well as secondary bacterial infections from viruses, and they will respond. Other than his voice, does he have any cough/sneeze, nasal secretions, eye bubbles, or eye/facial swelling? With only a change in the voice, I would suspect aspergillosis, a fungus infection from molds in the food, coop, or practically anywhere in the chicken's surroundings. They can sometimes recover without treatment if removed from the mold cause. Here is a link to read: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=3241&S=0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by